Sunday, May 20, 2007

crusts 'n' such

I was looking for something to make for me and the girls for supper tonight, so I poked my head in the fridge freezer to see what I could find. Well, I couldn't really tell what we had or didn't

have in there, since it was so full of this, that and everything else! So I decided to clean out the freezer and re-organize and then go from there. Well -- this picture I took is mainly what was in there (among a few other things)....a whole bunch of bread bags with only one piece in each bag; most of them crusts. Now, I don't have a problem with eating crusts usually -- they taste just as good to me as the rest of the loaf. But, I guess I often decide to pass over them, as they are smaller than the regular pieces. Usually I have 2 pieces of toast at a time, so I want to make it worth it. I don't want the equivalent of 1 1/2 pieces of toast -- I want a good 2 pieces. And then before I know it, all I'm left with are crusts. And of course I keep them, 'cause otherwise it's a waste, right? Well, then this is what happens: they pile up and pile up in my freezer until all I can see is almost-empty bread bags. Sheesh! And no wonder I've been short of bags...they've all been hibernating in my freezer! So now I'm left with a whole bunch of freezer-burnt crusts and it's a waste anyway! Oh well -- at least my freezer is cleaned out now and I can actually tell what's in there!!

Oh yeah -- and I made cheese toast for part of our supper tonight...and do you think I used the crusts from the new loaf that I started? I'll let you take your own guess on that!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

So funny! I'm glad you took a picture to show us how many, I would have thought you were exaggerating if you had just said how many were in there. Looks like my freezer sometimes. We don't eat crusts here either!

Jamie said...

I have a few bags of crusts in my freezer too. I don't like to eat them, but here's a hint: I use the crusts to make into bread crumbs for meatballs and such. And from my mother: if you blend a whole bunch of crusts at once, you can keep them in a container in the freezer and then it's handy to dip into.