Monday, May 21, 2007

learning to be spontaneous

As many of you may know, spontaneity is not my thing. I like to plan ahead; I like to organize and I like to make lists...oh, the lists!! But I am learning to change some of my ways -- at least some of the ways that limit me. One of those things is spending more time outside (not only from the influence of my husband and kids, but also of my neighbors who are constantly outdoors!!) and another is being spontaneous.

Okay, so you have already read about the spontaneous community breakfast this morning. Well, Erin jokingly suggested before I left her place that supper tonight should be at my place. I laughed it off and didn't really think much of it. But as the afternoon wore on and I was trying to think what to make for my own family for supper, I figured Hey -- why not? So, since we were all still outside together anyway (after just having some delicious apple crisp and ice cream for an afternoon snack...hmmm...we sure do tend to eat a lot together), I extended the invitation for them to join us for a BBQ for supper.

And I didn't even panic! Tara and I made a quick visit to our gas station for some buns and chips and we were all set. For a last minute idea, it quickly turned into a delicious feast that was enjoyed by all (thanks to some contributions from the ladies and of course excellent BBQ'ing by the Amazing Les). I even whipped up some vanilla pudding from scratch -- I'll post the recipe shortly as requested by Erin and Tara -- and served it with strawberries. See? I can do spontaneous...and it can even be successful!! Plus...as the picture below shows -- we're eating outside...!! (I better be careful or at this rate I'm going to run out of ways to better myself before the summer's over)


3 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Good for you!!! That's something that I seriously need to work at, too. If I was a little better at time management in general, I think that'd be a huge step in the right direction.

Erin said...

Can I steal your picture to add to my blog too? I didn't get a picture of us all today. It was a fantastic meal, by the way. And good for you getting all spontaneous and being outside more. It's good for you! Besides, then we get to see more of you! Which is good for us : )

Tara said...

Thanks again for the great bbq! It was great. I like lists and being organized as well but it seems just so easy to have you guys all over with no planning what so ever! I really enjoy it. Until next time...