Tuesday, May 22, 2007

let the counting begin...

Okay, I can't believe I agreed to try this -- but I am going to be starting to follow the Weight Watchers plan. Not officially...I'm not paying to be a "member" or anything and I'm not going to any meetings or weigh-ins. But some girls from work wanted to all do it together, so here we are. Someone got ahold of the count sheets so we each have our copies and we're going to start counting points.

This is supposed to really work, so I've heard. I'm just not looking forward to keeping track and looking everything up in my booklet before I eat it. For those of you who don't know how this works, you have a certain amount of "points" that you get to consume on a daily basis (which is based on your weight...the more you weigh, the more points you need; and as you lose weight the amount of points you are allowed also goes down). They provide a list of almost anything you can imagine and give you the number of points per serving of that item. Apparantly there's also something called "bonus points" that you can use throughout each week (but you can't bank them into the next week; if you snooze, you lose!!) for those special times when you just really need to pig out!!

So...we'll see how this all goes. I'm usually not good at these types of things -- I prefer being able to eat whatever I want whenever I want it!! But I'm hoping that two factors will help me keep my but in gear: first of all -- doing it with a group of 4 other women should help; and also -- posting this on my blog should also hopefully give me motivation. Being able to post about weight loss would be very exciting. I'm not quite so brave as to post my start weight and goal weight like Erin, but I will be sure to fill you in on any pounds that I kick out to the curb!!

Another part of this new plan is to start excercising again. There was a time when I was very faithfully doing 1/2 an hour of cardio and 1/2 an hour of pilates every day (that was a powerful combination for me which caused me to go down two sizes within a month). But then I got pregnant with Malia and the fatigue and nauseau settled in. Once I got out of my routine I just never got back in it. I made a few feeble attempts to start again last summer but always managed to come up with one excuse after another. I really want to try to squeeze both of those 1/2 hour work outs into my days -- at least the days when I'm not working...which is 2-3 days a week. Combine that with the points system and this could be just what I need to finally whip myself into shape and shed those unwanted pounds.

Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Good Luck!!! You can do it. Once you start seeing results it's so much easier to keep going. I'll be praying for motivation and success for you. You inspire me to keep going during a week when I don't feel like it.

Tara said...

Congratulations on taking the first step! If you ever want to walk in the evening to help with those unwanted pounds, I am in!

jackie said...

If anyone I know can stick with a plan, it's you! How's it going so far?