Monday, May 14, 2007

my lesson of the day

I had an adult-sized lesson staring me in the face for most of the day today via my 3 year old child. It felt like all morning all I was saying to Joelle were things like "Don't do that," "What do you think you're doing?", "How many times do I have to tell you," and "You should know better than that!"

After about the hundredth time I made those comments to her, it finally struck me. Yes, most of the things I lectured her on she should've known better; she did know better. But I can't say that I'm any different. How many times must God be trying to tell me "Andrea...you should know better than that!" And yes, I do. But that doesn't necessarily stop me from doing something I know I shouldn't.

So why do we expect so much of our children -- as young as 3 1/2 in my situation -- yet we don't even expect it of ourselves? Or maybe we do expect it of ourselves, but we certainly don't always succeed. I'm not saying that I should lower my expectations of Joelle. She is an extremely bright young child who needs to be held accountable for her actions. But I need to remember that she is a child who will make mistakes over and over and over again. And I need to strive to have the same kind of patience with her that God has with me. I was thankful for this lesson and it made me stop and hold Joelle on my lap and ask for her forgiveness. How grateful I am that children are so willing to forgive and forget. She loves me unconditionally and trusts me whole-heartedly even when I feel like I don't deserve it.

I did send her for her quiet time a bit early today, because I really did need a break. But before that, we spent some quality time baking banana chocolate-chip muffins together -- which of course deserved some pictures!!



4 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Man, you're so right about that. I have the same problems with Hannah and Abby -- especially Abby!! But it's true; there are so many parallels between parenting and God's relationship with us and so it's very reasonable to understand that God must feel the same way about us. Too bad he expects us to be as patient with our kids as He is with us!!!! That's a serious tough one for me.

Jonquil25 said...

My boys can get pretty loud. I find myself yelling just to get their attention. Then everyone is on edge. When I read your post it made me pause and send up a prayer of thankfulness. Thanks that God never loses patience with us. Amen!

Erin said...

Oh, man! I'm so hearing you on that one. I for sure should take heed of that advice (doing the same things over and over and over and I bet God gets really tired of me sometimes!)

cheeky said...

welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. it's fun, so stay a while we want to hear what you have to say.
erin is a sweety, you are lucky to have her a neighbour.