Thursday, May 24, 2007

no more diapers (cloth ones, that is)

I am very excited to say that we have finally made the decision to stop using cloth diapers for Malia!! This is very exciting for me. I have been using them faithfully for the past 3 1/2 years and they have definitely saved us a TON of money.

But, it takes up more time. First of all, you have to change diapers about twice as frequently since they don't hold nearly as much as disposables. Then of course there's the two layers to put on -- the cloth diaper itself and then the plastic diaper cover. Oh, and then the liner that needs to go on the diaper first. It doesn't seem like a lot of work, but it's two extra steps each time and time is hard to come by with two kids!! And then of course there's the laundry (and you all know how I feel about doing laundry!).

It was worth all of that work when the girls were in them full-time (especially when they were both in them full-time for about 6 months) but now Malia is seldom in them anyway. She's always in disposables when I'm at work (which is 2-3 times a week) and then when we're out and about on weekends or in the evenings. Plus, she's been in disposables for night too since it prevents her from soaking through by morning time. So -- I just figured it wasn't worth the hassle anymore. We had this discussion once a few months ago already, but it was decided that we would try to go a little bit longer. But just tonight I ran the idea by Les again and he went for it. We are officially done!! (now we just need to get Malia potty-trained and then we can be done with all diapers!!)

I guess now I really need to wash that last load that's still sitting in the diaper pail....

4 comments:

Louise said...

woooohoooooo....fun fun!!
I don't know how you did it for that long...wow you are a brave chick!
I had three kids, aged three and under all in diapers at one point...no chance I was doing that...lol...now they are all 'grown up' and not in diapers..where did time go....
Happy for you!!! Enjoy a little less laundry!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

Just as I promised, I checked out your blog. I try never break my promises. I can see you're an old pro at this blogging thing.

I read through most of your daily blogs, and skimmed the rest, told you it wouldn't be too much!! I must say, you do have lots to say (I should know). I guess I know what I'll be doing every night from now on.

I missed talking to you at work yesterday, but I'm sure we'll make up for that tomorrow. I'm just glad to hear you're ok. Well my friend...keep blogging.

~Roslyn:}

Erin said...

Yay!! That's so exciting. I did cloth for the first 6 months of Ella's life and it was worth the money I saved. Then she outgrew the ones that were supposed to fit until she was over a year (what can I say, my kids were gigantuan). Enjoy the little tiny bit of extra freedom.

Ruth said...

wow!! you are my hero! i had great good plans of walking a similar walk...and then i had a baby and, well,
things didn't work out so well in the cloth diaper department.

maybe next time. :)