Wednesday, May 16, 2007

oh, what a feeling

Okay, so I know that to many of you this really isn't a big deal -- but for me it's huge. Get this, guys....I AM ALL CAUGHT UP WITH MY LAUNDRY!! That's right -- it's all washed, folded and put away (well, except for a handful of Malia's things because she's napping right now...but I will not let that rob me of my feeling of accomplishment).

I'm not quite sure why I have such a hard time with this household chore, but it's definitely my least favorite one. Not only do I get really discouraged when I can't get a stain out (trust me -- that really bothers me, especially because I try to be so careful) but I just can never keep up with the seemingly endless piles of dirty clothes just laying there, waiting to be cleaned. Although it's not even necessarily the cleaning of the clothes that I have such a hard time with; it's after they're clean and dried that's the real kicker...

First of all, the last load may sit in the dryer for an extra day or so while the other loads already taken out continue to pile up downstairs in the laundry baskets waiting to be folded -- you know, out of sight out of mind. When it all finally makes its way upstairs, it may sit on my couch for a day or so as well. And that is what really befuddles me. Why do I leave it sitting there for so long? It's right in my line of vision; and it's even right close by me when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV in the evenings. I pride myself so much on my skills at multi-tasking, yet when it comes to watching TV and folding laundry -- something that sounds so simple -- I just can't get it done.

Eventually I get around to folding it...but at this point of course there's much less to fold, because I've been digging through it for the last few days to take things that I need which aren't in the closets and drawers where they're suposed to be. Once it's all folded, I bring it upstairs so that it's close to the bedrooms for putting it all away. Usually my excuse for not putting the clothes away immediately when I bring it all up is that either the girls are sleeping, or it's late and I just want to go to bed. But then the clothes are left sitting in the baskets for a few days too...now they're "out of sight, out of mind" again, as I spend most of my time on the main floor, other than getting ready in the morning (and who has time to put laundry away then?) or going to bed -- and again...then I'm too tired, right?

FINALLY...the clothes make it to their final destinations and I breathe a sigh of relief. Project Laundry is complete!! But then I take a look around and notice the new heaps that have gathered over the past several days and I have to start it all over again...

So, you can see how this really is big news for me; there isn't an article of clothing waiting to be washed and everything is put away where it belongs. I think I've discovered the secret to making this chore a little bit easier for me. It's nothing earth-shattering; just something that took me way too long to discover. Instead of waiting until the laundry has piled up to extraordinary amounts and then getting discouraged when it's not complete at the end of the day...why not do it more frequently? Do it in manageable amounts where I'm only doing a couple of loads at a time. That way I can actually get it done (even with my horrible laundry habits) and be proud of myself instead of discouraged. Oh, what a feeling!!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

YAH!!!! i'm doing backflips in your honor!! :)

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Way to go Andrea, feels great to be all caught up!

Erin said...

I am in exactly your quandry! Every week it's the same for me. I wait until the laundry is tumbling off the dryer (where we pile the dirty clothes) and then when it's finished I can't put it away for a very long time. Too busy blogging!