Saturday, May 26, 2007

precious moments

I had the sweetest greeting from my little miss Malia this morning. When I went in her room to get her, she right away reached for me. Usually she plays these little games where she sits back down with her blankets and doesn't want to come out right away. But today she grinned at me and came to me immediately. I brought her to her change table and she started to lie down for her diaper change. But then she suddenly tried to sit up and said "Hug, Hug." SURE!! So I picked her up and she just threw herself against my shoulder and put her arms around me and settled in for a good, long hug.

But it didn't end there. A few times I asked her if she was ready for her diaper change and she said "No...hug, hug." So I kept hugging her. Finally I asked her if she wanted to cuddle with Mommy on the rocking chair and she said "Uh-huh." So I sat down with her and she very comfortably found a new position in my arms and just lay there, quietly breathing. I was savouring every moment of this, as my girls have both NEVER been cuddlers -- other than when they're sick, and as far as I could tell Malia was feeling just fine.

Joelle even came upstairs to check on us and even with her interruption, Malia just stayed laying in my arms, enjoying being held and loved by her Mama. How sweet!! Joelle eventually left (I guess she was bored!) and still Malia stayed. Once she wanted to go look out the window to see the rain, and when I thought that would be the end of the cuddling, she surprised me yet again by pointing at the chair and saying "cu...cu". So...we went back to MORE cuddling. Finally I could feel way too much liquid leaking out of her diaper, so I had to get her changed. But it was a very precious moment. To steal a line from an Edwin McCain song (I Could Not Ask for More), "THESE ARE THE MOMENTS I THANK GOD THAT I'M ALIVE!!"

I know my day won't be full of only hugs and cuddles with my kids today -- but at least during the rough moments I can go back to first thing this morning and remember the feeling of having Malia fitting just right in my arms; being content to be nowhere but with her Mommy.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I agree with you, those moments when our children are cuddling in our arms are the best feeling ever!

Erin said...

That's so sweet! she was probably pleasantly surprised that it wasn't crazy neighbor lady coming to get her that she needed to relish in that : )

jackie said...

snuggles are great, aren't they?

Louise said...

That is very sweet, enjoy every moment they grow up WAY too fast!!