Monday, June 25, 2007

"mommy, i want to be a pilot when i grow up"

So far I haven't yet heard these words come out of Joelle's almost 4-year-old mouth. But I'm a bit nervous at the possibility of it! This little girl has always had a fascination with airplanes. And as fascinated as she is with them, I am a thousand times more scared of them!! Well, not actually of the planes themselves...I don't see a plane in the air and run for cover or anything; but the thought of actually getting on a plane and flying somewhere scares the heebie-jeebies out of me!! (much to Les' disappointment...but hey -- he knew about my phobia BEFORE he married me)

We have these crop-dusters (pictured below) that Joelle sees all the time. They have only lately been spraying the fields right behind our house, but their landing strip is quite close to where we live, so they fly by our house on a regular basis. Joelle has her "favorite" one -- and it is, of course the yellow one that we took pictures of. She gets excited every time it flies by (the red one is also cool, but it's the yellow one that is dubbed as the favorite) and runs to the window when she hears it approaching. The excitement seems to have worn off on Malia as well. Great, just what I need. TWO pilot daughters who will be begging to take me on airplane rides....I can't wait!

I know there's a great possibility that airplanes are just an interest and it doesn't necessarily mean that they will choose to become pilots just because they think they are cool to look at. But the thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. If I ever hear the words "Mommy, I want to be a pilot when I grow up" I think I'll pass out!!!



2 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

You know, I think all little kids have a fascination with airplanes. Just like with dinosaurs. I don't get where that comes from either. It just seems like a natural thing.

I thought my girls' obsession with planes was due to the fact that we see so few out here, but dad said I couldn't get enough either when I was their age. I've asked Hannah several times if she'd want to be a pilot when she grows up (because, of course, I think that'd be awesome!!!), but she always says no. And yet her favourite book at my parents' house is a book about airplanes and she and Abby will see them 17 miles up in the sky long before Greg or I can see them. Kids are so wierd!

Pamela said...

Kezia went on a field trip to the aviation museum this year and loved it! Joelle may enoy being up close and personal to air planes and other flying objects :)