Thursday, June 7, 2007

seven random things

I've seen this on a few people's blogs in the past and thought it was interesting. I am just going to tell you seven random things about myself -- hmmm...where should I begin?

1. I love onion dip. This may not seem like anything even worth mentioning except for this: I hate every ingredient that you use to make it. I hate onions (including onion soup), and I detest sour cream and I won't go near mayonnaise with a ten foot pole. Yet you put them all together and somehow you end up with the most delicious dip ever!! How does that work?

2. I own all 10 seasons of "Friends" on DVD (I'm watching one right now). This is my absolute favorite show of all time. In almost any situation that happens, I can relate it to "Friends." Somebody can be telling a story and I can almost always think of a Friends episode where the same thing happened, or where they at least made a funny comment about it. I don't always voice them since some people may not share my Friends-addiction and may not see the humour in it like I do. So I often keep them to myself, but they're there in my mind!!

3. I have 6 nieces and no nephews. Add that to my own 2 daughters and it's nothing but girls everywhere I go!! One of my sisters is pregnant again though -- so a nephew is a possibility, but who are we kidding? Good thing girls are so much fun!!

4. I bake my own bread -- from scratch. No bread machine involved. I am the "bread machine." My Mom taught me how shortly after Joelle was born and ever since then it's a rare thing to have store-bought bread in my house. I have recently also started making buns too with my leftover dough. I'm still working on getting them shaped just right -- but at least they taste great!!

5. We got Malia's name off of the TV show "Fear Factor." We were watching an episode and one of the contestants had the name. Les suggested it and I was instantly hooked!! Of course later he tricked me; it was really cruel. He told me that he no longer wanted the name Malia, even after we had both agreed that it was "the name." I tried to convince him otherwise, but he wouldn't budge. I was very heart-broken, since I was prepared to get to use that beautiful name. I tried pouring over baby name books again, but nothing was even close to comparing to the name I had my heart set on. Well, it turns out he was only playing a joke on me. He loved the name as much as I did and was always intending on using it. ARGH!!! Oh well; at least it had a happy ending!!

6. I am SO not a morning person. Any of you who have ever been a roommate of mine knows this first-hand. But hey -- I'm improving!! It wasn't too long ago that I could hardly even mumble a "good-bye" to my mom before leaving for work. My poor mom. She would have to get ready in the mornings with a daughter who wouldn't even look at her, never mind talk to her (sorry Mom). But since getting married -- and especially since having kids -- I have had to work at changing this. I think I have been fairly successful...although on mornings when I have to go to work, my co-workers try and stay away from me for at least the first 1/2 hour or so while I get warmed up.

7. I love to sing and play piano. I feel these are 2 gifts that God has given me and I enjoy using them to worship Him. Les and I bought a piano the first year we were married and I was so excited!! Of course it doesn't get played a whole lot these days...it's hard to practice piano when I have 2 kids who want to sit on the bench and "play" with me and crowd my space. So it gets rather dusty, but I do still occasionally get around to tickling the ivories -- usually when I've been asked to sing in church. Then I'll try to sneak in a half hour or so every day for awhile and I realize how much I've missed it again!!

Okay -- that's it. I'm sure I could think of many more random things to share about me. And who knows...maybe I'll add another entry later on entitled "100 random things"...man, isn't that something to look forward to?!?

6 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, you bet I'm looking forward to it! I had no idea that you don't like sour cream. That's an odd one. Do you just not like it by itself or can you not stand it in anything (other than onion dip, of course)?

ValleyGirl said...

Knowing you fairly well, none of these were news to me -- except the onion dip thing. I mean, I know, too, that it's your favourite dip, but I had no idea that you hate all the individual ingredients!! That's just too weird!

Pamela said...

1-I love onion dip too, but I love everything in it to, lol!
2-I should borrow that last season from you...I like watching friends too and do you know COn and I have not seen the finale!
3-Who's pregnant??
4-Very cool, I can make my own buns but my bread tends to be "unphotographable", lol!
5-This one I knew because Tammy thinks it's hilarious!
6-I'm not a morning person...another reason why buying a house 5 houses from a school is appealing ;)
7-I wish I had that talent!

Jamie said...

That was a very interesting read. Thanks!

Louise said...

great stuff!!!
hey I think I saw you at the fair last night but since we've never met in person I didn't know if I should say something...lol!! too funny eh? we know all about each other and here we are and can't say hi.....nexttime!! LOL
Have a great weekend!

Jenn said...

I hope you don't mind I'm going back and reading your old posts. Learning more about you.
I'd love for you to teach me how to make bread!
And I'm loving the idea of community meals!