Saturday, June 23, 2007

unforgettable evening

Last night I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at the downhere concert at the Red River Ex. I'm telling you, these guys are one of my top two favorite bands (the other one is Casting Crowns). The vocals on these guys are absolutely incredible. I went with Les' sisters and we had a great time, inspite of the weather.

I have to say I was a little paranoid, and rightly so! While we were driving there, we seemed to be driving right into a storm. The lightning was incredible and I immediately got really nervous after what happened on Tuesday night. I was just recently starting to get over my fear of thunderstorms -- you know, since I'm the parent now, I need to be the brave one -- but after this, things are much worse for me again. I had heard that there was a severe thunderstorm watch again, and I was thinking to myself, why exactly am I going to an outdoor concert?? But I figured I had already paid for my ticket, so I may as well give it a shot! Plus, I didn't want to ask them to turn around and make Roxie and DeeAnne miss it just because of my fears.

We got to the concert about an hour early and we spent some time walking around watching some of the rides. The rain started coming down (not pouring, but enough to get us wet) and the lightning was still in full force. Then suddenly the temperature dropped and the wind started picking up and I had so many knots in my stomach. I kept watching the sky, on the look-out for any weird looking clouds again. Thankfully the wind died down (and honestly, it probably wasn't even that windy...in fact, Roxie and DeeDee would probably say, "What wind?") and the rain actually competely stopped right before the concert started. Fortunately we had taken Roxie's car though, which was stocked with blankets; enough for each of us to cuddle up in one while awaiting the concert to begin (unfortunately we took Roxie's car though, which got a flat tire on our way home from the concert...). However, I later found out that another tornado had touched down in Elie -- click here to check out the story --, which is only about 15-20 minutes away from where we were...okay, are these things just following me around now or what?!?

The concert was AMAZING though!! It was sponsored by CHVN95.1FM and Blessings Christian Marketplace. Seriously -- if you haven't heard these guys before, you are missing out. The harmonies are incredible!! It was such a moving experience for me. I'm not very experienced at concerts; the only ones I've been to are Boyz II Men (come on, they were popular back in 1994!!) and a free Paul Brandt one at the Forks several years ago. But I think I can safely say that I couldn't possibly enjoy another concert better than the one I saw last night. The only downside was that they didn't perform Calmer of the Storm (which would've been very suitable due to all the storms lately!). But they did all my other favorite songs and I just felt very close to God. Plus, we also saw an incredible rainbow and the cool clouds after the storm -- Erin accurately described them as "cotton ball clouds" and you can see her cool pictures of both the clouds and the rainbow from out her back window here. Seeing the miraculous works of God during this moving time...I just don't even have words to describe it.

It was an evening I won't soon forget...and once I figure out how to download pictures from my cell phone, I can include a couple of pictures too (of all the days to forget my camera!!).

3 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Hey now, you haven't been camping yet -- don't you think you're jumping the gun just a little, calling this possibly the highlight of your summer??!! Haha! Glad you had an awesome evening and that you didn't get hit by lightning or swooped away by a tornado.

Tara said...

Glad you had a good time, I love going to outdoor concerts! Someting about summer and concerts that fit so well together!

Pamela said...

I took pictures of those clouds too! Glad to hear that you had a good time despite the weather and car mishap!