Monday, July 16, 2007

honor your husband: update #2






Okay, it's time for my second update on how I'm doing with my challenge to take time to honor my husband for 30 days.




1. Greeting Les at the door when he comes home from work: This should be one of the easiest challenges to conquer, but I have a hard time with this. I'm almost always in the middle of some "computer time" on the couch when he comes home mid-afternoon and it's always just so sudden. Like, the door opens and there he is. And with our "whoever comes home from being away is the one to give the kiss" rule and the few short steps from the door to the couch, he's often giving me my kiss before I can even get up off the couch! And he's home at a different time every day, so it's not like I can set the clock to his arrival and be ready for him. So this one is a bit tricky for me.

2. Toning down the nit-picking: I think I have been doing fairly well at this one. Not only do I not nit-pick him as often, but I also try to keep my negative comments about the messy house to myself. Those comments were often not directed at him; more directed at myself and my frustration with not being able to keep the house as tidy as I would like. But for whatever reason, he doesn't like it when I make such comments. So I've been working on keeping those thoughts to myself.

3. Speaking well of him: Hmmm...I seem to fail at this one. Not like I'm speaking poorly of him either, but I certainly can work more at building him up with my words.

4. "Behind closed doors..." My back was an issue for the first part of the week, but I think there have been improvements, although there's always room for more!

5. Pray for Les every day: Again, there's work to be done here. I think I need to set aside some time every day specifically for this. I get distracted so easily which is my problem. But maybe even if I picked something I do daily -- like my shower each morning -- and use that time to pray for Les.

6. Quality Time: Here is where I have felt like I have improved the most. A couple of examples of this is that I went outside with him to help paint our entertainment unit and speakers one evening and on Saturday morning when Les took the girls to visit some puppies at his boss' place, I was tempted to just stay at home and get housework done with peace and quiet -- but instead I went along with them and I know Les was thrilled with that. Les actually took the online test for determining your love language -- all on his own -- and I was surprised to find out that quality time was actually his love language. So since finding this out I have been really trying to make this goal my #1 priority.

7. Massages: Oops...Les didn't even get one single massage from me last week. Maybe tonight will have to be the night.

This seems to not have been a very successful week and that bothers me a little bit. It's really only #2 and #6 that I seem to have succeeded in and in my opinion -- that's just not good enough!! I'm determined to try harder on the other ones and hope that I will be able to report more successes in next week's update. I'm already half done this challenge and there is still room for a lot more improvement!!

3 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

It's good to know that even though this is a '30-day challenge,' it's not like we're out of time to continue improving after that! Just keeping these goals in mind is already a step in the right direction. Keep it up!!

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing your update!

Christine said...

Sorry I missed this Andrea! I didn't see it on the Mr. Linky!

It sounds like you've had a lot of progress! I pray you'll continue to work toward your goals and see the rewards.