Monday, July 23, 2007

no more "soo-soo"

This is Malia's precious "soo-soo." She has depended on this soother for sleeping ever since she was a newborn (well, okay not this exact one...she used to have a smaller sized one when she was a wee baby). Just yesterday afternoon I was making a comment on how we were ever going to get her weaned off of it. I had always wondered that with Joelle as well, since she was just as
attached to hers for sleeping too when she was younger. But as it turned out with Joelle, she made it easy for us. One day when she was at home with Les, she just decided to throw it in the garbage can. Just like that. I think she was somewhere between 16-18 months old. She asked for it a few times after that, but we just reminded her that she had thrown it away and then she remembered what she had done and was okay with it.
But Malia has never expressed any interest in throwing away her prized "soo-soo." She already only gets it for sleeping, so it's not like it's a huge deal that she still needs it. But I really wanted to have her weaned off of it by the time she turned 2 (which is only 2 1/2 months away...yikes!!). So Les just suggested, "I just won't give it to her tonight when I put her to bed."
Well, I was wondering how she was going to take that -- and surprisingly she did quite well. For the first 15-20 minutes she screamed bloody murder, but after that she slowly started to calm down and then before we knew it, all was quiet. She did wake up several times during the night crying, but when I went to get her out of her crib this morning she didn't make any mention of it.
I was worried how she was going to be for her nap today though. While she was cuddling with me on her rocking chair before I put her down, she reached to her crib and said "soo-soo." When I told her "No, sweetie, you don't need your soo-soo anymore" she started to cry. So I just told her that big girls don't need soo-soo's and she was my BIG girl and I was so proud of her. She smiled at me and nodded. Then I prayed with her about it and she went to sleep perfectly!!
And again now tonight just before putting her to bed she inquired about it. But I just reminded her once again that she was a big girl and that Mommy and Daddy were very proud of her. She seems to be very proud of herself to be considered a big girl so this seems to do the trick. I prayed with her about it again and she's been just fine.
One more "baby phase" that we are done with. Now if only we could get rid of diapers....

No comments: