Saturday, July 14, 2007

tickling the ivories

I'm scheduled to play piano in church tomorrow -- just the prelude, while everyone is sitting down and getting settled. So I decided that tonight I'd better whip through a few songs to get warmed up. Even though most people are visiting through the prelude, I still like to be somewhat prepared when I'm playing piano in public.

I sat down at the piano and started playing...and as I played through some of my favorite choruses (nothing fancy; just chords and fillers) I was filled with a sense of peace and joy. It was immediate.

I love playing the piano. But I don't often get the chance to play. At least not to play the way I would like to. The girls will often run up at the first sound of the piano and want to play with me. Or they're asleep and I have to play with the soft pedal on, which is not nearly as fun.

So tonight while Les was getting the girls ready for their baths, I took the opportunity to play the way I was so desperately missing. Only I hadn't realized how much I had missed it until I began. I poured my whole heart and soul into the keys and made a promise to myself: I will set aside time to play the piano on a regular basis. Not only when I've been asked to play in church, but just for me. Les has often mentioned that I should play more and that he would take the girls out of my hair so I could do it. I'll just have to start taking him up on that offer.

Piano is very therapeutic for me; very healing. I can feel so much through my music: I can rejoice, I can pray, I can mourn, I can vent. Sometimes it's the only place I want to be.

7 comments:

Louise said...

That is SO awesome!! I am envious of anyone who can play the piano. My hubby is a pianist or I should say he used to be, that was our main source of income for the first 4 years of our marriage...I loved hearing him play, I don't hear him much now but when he does play our kids run to listen and we all go quiet and listen...it is a gift!! Enjoy it you are lucky!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

I feel the same way. Sometimes playing the piano is the ONLY way that I can express myself or feel close to God.
Craig often begs me to play more. I guess I will have to start making time for it.
THanks for sharing your thoughts.
your cousin Angela.

Anonymous said...

you do have such a gift to play. i hated lessons growing up. it sounds so beautiful when you play. take the time, like Les says. it will be a special memory that your girls will have as they grow up.an

Ruth said...

beautiful andrea. love the picture this post paints of you offering your gift up to One in intercession. God bless you and your gift....

TammyIsBlessed said...

Yup, you pegged it right on. Music is definitely one of my favorite ways to worship - both playing piano and singing. And it's hard to do with the kids around. Making it a priority is probably the only way it'll happen!

Pamela said...

I wish I could play an instrument! Nuture your talent!

Jenn said...

That is so great to have a passion like that. I wish I'd kept up with piano lessons when I was a kid. I love to play what little I can. I'd like to hear you play sometime!