Sunday, August 5, 2007

take a walk with me

A walk down memory lane...all the way back to high school!! (ooh, this will be fun)

1. Who was your best friend?
I can't say I really had one single best friend throughout my high school years. I had many close friends, but probably the 3 that were my best friends were Amanda, Mona and Julie.

2. Did you play any sports?
Nope! I was not an athletic teenager (nor am I athletic as an adult!). I sprinted in track meets and played baseball in junior high, but nothing in senior high. I once tried out for the badminton team though -- I didn't make it!

3. What kind of car did you drive?
I puttered around in my parents' old car. I don't even remember what kind of car it was -- maybe a pontiac of some sort? -- but we called it "Big Mama." It may not have been the most beautiful car, but it was sure a smooth and comfortable ride!

4. It's Friday night. Where were you?
I was at youth group every Friday night. Sometimes it was the youth group at my home church in the big city, and other times it was the youth group at my friends' church in my small town. But either way, that's where I was. Bible studies, bowling, scavenger hunts, menno-runs, games nights....always a lot of fun!

5. Were you a party animal?
Ha! Not even close. I never went to parties. Friday night was youth group as I already mentioned, and Saturday nights were either spent just at home with my parents or with a friend or two. Pretty low-key. I never smoke or drank or "partied." Yes, I was a goody-goody AND PROUD OF IT!!

6. Were you considered a flirt?
Probably not in high school -- but both before and after!! In junior high I was definitely considered a flirt and same as in Bible School. Although I wasn't flirty with anybody and everybody. It was always fairly concentrated to the particular crush I had at that time. But I made sure that he knew it!! But for some reason I was a bit more reserved in high school. Not sure why.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir?
Our school didn't have a choir or an orchestra, but it did have a band and I was definitley in it. I played the clarinet and I was the top of my class. My band teacher loved me and I was always given "1st Clarinet" pieces. When my sister Michelle was in grade 12 (and me in grade 11) we even got to sit side-by-side and we were the top two seats of clarinetists. (I have since somehow lost my clarinet...I'm not quite sure how you lose something like that, but apparantly I found a way!)

8. Were you a nerd?
Well, that depends on your definition of a nerd. And maybe you'd have to ask my class-mates to get a more accurate answer on that one! Let's see...I always enjoyed school and did pretty well. Not straight A's or anything -- and I didn't even always make the honour roll -- but I did okay. As for how I fit in with all the groups in my grade...I think I was kinda in the middle, with friends in every grouping. I definitely had some friends in the "nerd" group but also some in the "popular" group. I guess I was a "floater."

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled?
Not even close. The worst that happened to me was that I got kicked out of math class once. Not because I was being bad, but because I was disrupting the class from laughing uncontrollably. We had been told the day before to bring a protractor to class. So I grabbed my geometry set that day and went to class. However, when I got there I realized that my protractor wasn't there. I had every other piece of geometry "equipment" you could possibly need...but not my protractor. I know, not really funny right? But for some reason it tickled, and I could not stop laughing. So my teacher sent me outside until I could calm down. Oh -- and actually that was in junior high, not high school. Oops! The answer is still no.

10. Can you sing the fight song?
Okay...not quite sure what the fight song even is!

11. Who was your favorite teacher?
Probably my math teacher -- the same one I said was my funniest teacher back in my latest friday's feast post. He was just so quiet and nice and funny and sweet.

12. What was your school mascot?
Didn't have one. But we were the Panthers.

13. Did you go to the prom?
Yes I went. I think my mom spent about $30 on my dress. I went simple -- a floral sundress. I loved it 'cause I actually did wear it a lot that summer. I've always been a bit more practical.

14. If you could go back, would you?
Back to high school? Are you kidding me?!? OF COURSE!! Just joking. No, that doesn't really interest me. I mean sure, life was a lot simpler back then...no financial worries, not raising any kids, working on a marriage -- yeah, life was a lot easier. But I've been there, done that. I'd rather be an adult.

15. What do you remember most about graduation?
The ceremony -- I remember winning the Riverbend Realty Award which came with $250 CASH!!
The dance -- I remember slow-dancing with my crush, Tim. My parents knew about my hopeless crush on this boy and they took a picture of us. What a prized possession that picture was!!

16. Where were you on senior skip day?
I was at school. I told you -- I was a goody-goody!! There were only a hand-full of us that showed up that day. And I was glad that I did though, 'cause that was the day they were giving out exemptions to exams. My chemistry teacher only exempted the students who were in class that day (well, they also had to meet all the other requirements of course). My chemistry class in grade 12 only consisted of 6 people and I think I was the only one who showed up. So...everybody else had to write the exam, even if they would've otherwise been exempt from it. See? It pays to obey the rules!!

17. Did you have a job your senior year?
Yes. I was a waitress at Chicken Chef -- and I HATED it!! I could work an 8 hour shift on a Saturday and only make $1.50 in tips. That's what you get for working in a small Mennonite town!!

18. Where did you go most often for lunch?
I ate my bag lunch. In grades 10 and 11 I just ate at a desk. But in grade 12 I got to eat in the coveted GRADE 12 LOUNGE!! This lounge even had a TV so we could watch talk shows or soaps or game shows. Wow, what luxury!

19. Have you gained weight since then?
Uh...you could say that!! You know, it's funny...when I was in high school I always thought I was chubby. But now looking back -- I didn't look so bad afterall. At least not compared to now!!! As much complaining as I did about my weight...I would l-o-v-e to be that size now.

20. What did you do after graduation?
I was supposed to move in to an apartment with my sister Tammy. But she decided to get engaged. SO...I made the last-minute decision (like we're talking 3 days before school started) to go to Bible College. I went there for two years -- and lived in the dorm -- before I graduated with my Diploma of Biblical Studies. The summer in between my college years I worked at Suzy Shier.

21. What year did you graduate?
1996

22. Who was your senior prom date?
I didn't have a date. The guy I wanted to go with didn't ask me. But the good news is that he didn't ask anybody else either!! We slow-danced together and hung out practically the whole time, so we should've just gone together!! Oh well. There were several people who went stag, so I didn't feel like a loser who couldn't get a date!

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion?
Yes; it was last summer. It was a last-minute thing so it was very low-key -- just hot dogs and watermelon at the park -- and not very many people showed up. But the ones that did, it was great to see them! It was funny...at first it felt a bit awkward since I hadn't kept in touch with A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y after graduation. But after a few minutes of re-connecting, it almost felt as if I were back in high school again. And people automatically went back into their old "cliques". After I left, I almost wished that I was back in high school again. It just brought back so many good memories. I was a bit nostalgic the rest of the day, but after that I was glad once again to be where I am in life.

So...what experiences do YOU have from high school??

1 comment:

Amanda said...

High school was fun and there were a lot of good times, but I agree with you I wouldn't want to go back. Life is good now and I am very happy. I remember Friday night youth group it was fun. You were not the only one to never attend a party in high school, neither did I. I remember spending a lot of time at your place. It was so easy to get you laughing and once you started you could not stop. does your mom still make that really good taco salad? Awesome blog page.