Sunday, September 30, 2007

but at least i'm doing it

Last night Les and I attended a cousin's wedding -- complete with a dance. Now for those of you who know me, you know that I am NOT a dancer (although I suppose that's true of most Mennonites). Every once in awhile I can let loose and "boogie" but it sure doesn't come easy.

Last night was no exception. I was standing on the outside of the group of dancers taking in all the action. Everybody looked like they were having so much fun -- the few good dancers and the not-so-good dancers alike. Sure, some were more cautious than others but some of them really just let go of all their inhibitions and everybody looked like they were having a great time. I really wanted to join in the fun, but my insecurities got in the way and I just continued to stand there on the outside looking in.

Then I had a Friend's episode flash through my mind (I'm telling you, there's a Friend's episode for almost any experience in life!!). It was one from the first season where Monica went to tap class to try and expand her horizons. She was trying to better herself; step out of her comfort zone. As she was joining in on the dance class making a complete fool of herself, the instructor called out "Hey! You in the back -- you're getting it all wrong!" To which Monica replied with a smile on her face "Yeah, but at least I'm doing it!"

So...what did I do? I put on my dancing shoes (well, technically they were just my flip-flops and they were already on...in fact, I actually ended up kicking them off partway through 'cause they were hindering me) and joined in the fun.

You should've seen me -- the macarena, the boot scoot'n boogie and even some weird hip-hop song that I had never heard before. I was on fire!!


I'm sure I was one of the goofiest looking ones out there on that dance floor (although I know I was in good company!). I was thinking to myself "Oh, Andrea -- you probably look completely rediculous!"

To which I replied to myself (silently) with a smile on my face, "Yeah -- but at least I'm doing it!"

5 comments:

Erin said...

Good for you! It's rather freeing isn't it?

Jamie said...

Way to go! That's way better than I could've done. I don't think I could ever let go of my inhibitions enough to dance in public! I don't know if I'd even have fun doing it; I'd be too concerned about how silly I looked.

Gloria said...

Good for you Monica.... errr, ummm, Andrea!

Tara said...

You know there is an adult hip hop class that goes for 10 weekd starting soon that we could join! I think it would be great fun..Lol!

The Heppner's said...

This really put a smile on my face. Actually I'm almost giggling because I can totally see you shake your bootie! Good for you. It reminds me of the song, I Hope you Dance. And I'm glad that you did!