Wednesday, September 12, 2007

memories only in my mind

Okay, it's time to tell you a bit about our kid-free weekend away to Grand Forks last weekend. Believe it or not, I don't have ANY pictures to show you. Why, you ask? 'Cause I didn't bring my camera along. It's not like I forgot it -- I c-h-0-s-e to leave it at home. Again, you might ask "Why?" Well, I figured there wouldn't be much to take pictures of seeing as we would just be shopping, shopping, eating out, shopping some more, and relaxing in our jacuzzi tub.

As it turns out, there were several times throughout the weekend where I wished I would've had my camera along (so take that as a lesson: always bring your camera on a trip), but since I didn't, the memories that I have of the weekend exist only in my mind.

But I'd like to share with you some of the times where my camera would've come in handy (and I'll just state that most of the things I would've taken pictures of, Les would've just stood there and shook his head at me -- and perhaps even rolled an eyeball or two in my direction). And not that these pictures necessarily would've ended up in an actual photo album, but they would've been pictures I could've used here, on my blog. But, here they are, nonetheless:

1. The speed limit signs when we crossed the border. We were actually LEGALLY allowed to go 120 km/hr (which is 75 miles/hr in case you were curious about the conversion). It felt super fast on the way there. But then of course coming home, when we had to change our speed back down to 100 km/hr (with a touch of speeding, of course) it felt like we were c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g.

2. Taco Bell. This was our first stop when we got to Grand Forks. Neither of us were terribly hungry (we polished off McDonald's breakfasts on our drive out), but we figured we'd need a little something to get us through an afternoon of heavy shopping so we each just grabbed a taco (or two burritos in Les' case). But the reason I would've liked my camera is to take a picture of a handful of hot sauce packets. Unlike our boring hot sauces out here, theirs say weird things on them. Like, "Can you scratch my back?" or "I'm taking the day off...see the next packet", or my personal favorite, "I'm scared. It's dark and I hear people laughing."

3. Paradisio. Yes, we had tacos twice in the first day! Of course at Paradisio, you get "real" tacos. Anyway, I would've loved to have made a nice collage of my delicious plate of food, the basket of chips and some fun decor on the walls (how lame and tourist-y, hey?). It could've made a good promo for them though.

4. My hair. I don't know what's in the water in Grand Forks -- but I had AWESOME hair days. My hair hasn't looked that good in...well, in a l-o-n-g time. Weeks, at least. It would've been nice to have had a picture or two of it.

5. Us on our anniversary. Why would I not have thought that I would've wanted a picture of us on our special day? Not only was I having an excellent hair day like I just mentioned, but we both looked extra good sporting some of our new clothing purchases.

6. Les at Cabella's. For those of you who don't know -- Cabella's is a HUGE hunting/fishing/camping store in the states. Les' d-r-e-a-m store. We spent close to two hours in that place (yawn!) and Les was in his glory. It would've been fun to take a picture or two of him totally enthralled with all the great stuff right at his fingertips!

7. Our hotel room. It wasn't a super fancy room or anything -- but it was huge, with of course the personal jacuzzi tub smack dab in the middle. We'll probably never spend that much on a hotel room again (at least not unless it's a extra, extra special occasion!) and it would've made a nice memory.

8. The Texas Roadhouse. This is a restaurant sort of like Montana's (in atmosphere and food) but there was one major difference. There were peanut shells all over the floor! At first I thought it was just in the waiting area, which I thought was strange enough. They had these huge barrels of peanuts for people to scoop out with little baskets while waiting for their tables. And when people are done with the peanuts, they're just supposed to throw their shells on the floor. Weird, but okay. Then we got brought to our table and my feet were crunching on peanut shells the whole way!! They have a little bucket of peanuts at each table as well, along with an empty bucket for the shells to go into. However -- not only to some people just toss the shells on the floor anyway, but when the tables get cleared the buckets of shells just get tossed onto the floor by the waitresses as well!! I wasn't a fan of this. I was barefeet in tiny little flip-flips, and it just felt like I had peanut shells all over my feet! It's a good thing I'm not allergic to peanuts -- 'cause even though Les said there was a huge sign warning people before walking in the restaurant, I completely missed it!

Anyway, those were some moments that would've made good picture opportunities (in my own personal opinion). But the weekend was still great and we spent LOTS of money. I got some good shoes and clothes out of the deal, along with some pretty bedding for the girls (shhh...but don't tell them -- it's for their birthdays). It was a wonderful much-needed break and I enjoyed every minute of it -- even though I was suffering from a bad cold. We did however, both miss the girls which made it easier to have to come back home.

But I'd be ready to go back again -- in fact, this weekend sounds G-R-E-A-T to me!! (I wish)

7 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Tell Les that Cabellas is coming here to Winnipeg! The first one in Canada, yeah! They bought out S.I.R warehouse.

Andrea said...

Yeah, he was mentioning that to me. Great -- we're going to go broke at that store!

:)

Ruth said...

i'm glad you had such a great weekend.

Jamie said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I was waiting to hear about your weekend. Isn't it funny how now that you have a blog, you're constantly thinking of taking pictures specifically for a post you want to do? At least I do, and after hearing your cute picture ideas, I think you do too!

Louise said...

OHHHH I LOVE Paradisio...mmmm makes my mouth water !!
Glad you had an awesome time, those kidless times are needed and fun!

Pamela said...

Glad you had a great weekend! Thanks for sharing the highlights! :)

TammyIsBlessed said...

Grand Forks..... Paradiso..... shopping! Can't wait to go again.

So glad you guys had a blast. Those kidless weekends away are a great investment in your marriage.