Wednesday, October 17, 2007

home improvement

As you know, we've been slowly making some improvements to our home; mostly with painting. Our next big project, however, is to get the basement in more usable form. This involves a LOT of organizing. Here is an embarrassing picture of the normal state of our rec room. The girls have WAY too many toys, and to make it worse, they have no room to store them all. So it all gets left in a big heap in the middle of the floor. No wonder they don't enjoy playing down there very much. You know the saying "I can't see the forest, for all the trees?" Well, same thing here...they can't see the playroom, for all the toys!! It is in desperate need of some fine-tuning.

So...last month we ordered some cabinets (lucky me -- I work at a cabinet company, so at least I got a discount!) and we've been storing them in our garage. Until tonight. My Dad (who also works at this cabinet company) came over to help Les install them. It's not completely finished yet. We don't have the countertop yet, and the space beside the wall cabinets is going to filled up by a book shelf that will be made by my Dad. But at least we've got the majority of the storage space to work with. And of course -- as always -- here are the before and after pictures.










Now I just need to decide what's all going where! There are toys, dress-up clothes, puzzles, books, coloring books, games...I hope we have enough room for it all!!

4 comments:

Tara said...

What a difference, those cabinets look great! Good job Les!

Melanie said...

It makes a huge difference and look great!!

Leeann said...

Thanks for your beautiful words on my blog!
After looking at these pictures, I need to know...how did you get in my house?
This is exactly what my basement looks like right now. So, if you're hiding down there somewhere, please feel free to putty and sand down the walls! :)

Cindy said...

Wow - those are gorgeous cabinets!...I love it!...(I miss cabinets!...haha!)