Thursday, October 18, 2007

misery loves company

**A huge thank-you for everybody's encouragement. I received mix responses to my deadline. Well, everybody pretty much said that Thursday was technically the day I would be "allowed" to drink Pepsi again, but a few people encouraged me to go that extra day. I have thought about both sides, and I have decided to make Thursday the day I will be able to drink Pepsi again. I have nothing to prove by going that extra day -- I think I have proved enough already!! So...I changed my countdown ticker above, and I am SO looking forward to Thursday!! I promised Les I would wait until he got home so we could celebrate at supper...so I'm still going for almost all of Thursday.**

Well, I have reached the half-way point in my Pepsi Challenge. And guess what? I haven't cheated, not even once! And believe me, that's a H-U-G-E accomlishment. I have never gone this long without Pepsi before (well, in my adult life that is).

The first few days were hard, but only because I knew I couldn't have it. You know how you always want something that you can't have, right? But it's not like I have Pepsi every single day so I've gone without it for a few days at a time. But in my first few days I had a lot of challenges placed in my path.

Do you realize how many meals require Pepsi? Nachos, taco salad, pizza, pizza buns...and the list goes on. And I have had EACH of those things within the last 7 days yet I have held strong. Even when everybody else in front of me was indulging themselves in a nice cold can of Pepsi. (although I have to say that Les has not had Pepsi in front of me since I started this challenge. If we're eating a meal that normally requires Pepsi, we'll all have juice or iced tea instead -- I appreciate his support)

Anyway, yesterday was the first day that was hard for withdrawal reasons; not just because I couldn't have it. My body was seriously going through Pepsi withdrawal and it was awful. I was pacing the floor, stomping my feet and shaking my hands trying to rid my body of the craving it was going through. I then of course got the "munchies" but what really helped me get through that terrible moment was to distract myself by banging out music on the piano. I also find that I'm more easily irritated and my patience level is WAY down.

I was actually tempted on Saturday already (only three days in to the challenge) to revise my idea. I was in the process of making nachos for my family for lunch and I could almost taste how excellent a Pepsi would taste with it. So I suggested to Les that I revise my challenge to allow myself one Pepsi a week for a month. Think about it...that only totals 4 Pepsi's in a month.

But Les didn't allow it. He said it was a cop-out. He said the only reason I wanted to revise it was because I wanted an excuse to have Pepsi NOW. He was right, of course. He also said that I would lose my credibility with my readers if I changed it all now. He reminded me that the whole reason I put it on my blog was to make me stick to it.

So I stuck with it.

You know what has helped make it a little bit easier? Two of my friends are doing it with me! One of them (Sheldon) is also giving up pop for two weeks and another one (Andrea) is giving up her weakness -- chocoalte chips. They are helping keep me accountable and I know that I will not let them down. They are doing it to support me, so how can I cave and give in to my cravings?

Anybody else want to join for the last week? Pick something you crave on a regular basis and challenge yourself to give it up for one week. Misery loves company, right? The more people who do this with me, the easier it's going to be for me to stick with it. This last week will be the hardest. Like I said, the first few days were just hard because I knew I wasn't allowed to have it. These last days though will be hard for actual withdrawal reasons. I know I'll continue to be tempted several times a day, and if I have someone to think about for each time I'm tempted, it will be easier for me to JUST SAY NO!! Anyway, if you want to participate, leave me a comment and tell me what you are giving up for the last week of my challenge.

I do have a question though. When am I technically allowed Pepsi again? Next Thursday? Or Friday? I said I would do this for two weeks, which totals 14 days. So technically that would mean I could indulge myself on Thursday, right? 'Cause Wedesday would be my 14th day without Pepsi. My ticker at the top of my page is set to Friday, but after thinking about it -- I think it should be Thursday...right? (seriously -- I'm not trying to cop-out a day early, I really want everybody's opinion on what is the right answer if I'm doing it for two weeks)

14 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, go for the extra day! You'll be that much more proud of yourself.

Erin said...

I agree! I can't really join you for this week because I'm going to be gone for most of the week at someone else's house (don't want to limit myself and be an annoying houseguest), but I'll tell you what. When I get back I'll give up sugar for a week. One week...no sugar. I'll even post about it so that I won't be tempted to quit or not start. Thanks for the challenge : ) And great job on lasting this long. It's hard to give up something you love.

Pam said...

well, I think that 2 weeks = 14 days, so that you should be able to have Pepsi again on Thursday...but go with your gut and what you think is best. I'm proud of you for pushing through and sticking to your goal....I think I'll give up sleep for the last week of your challenge...oh, wait, my kids have already seen to it that I have given up sleep ;) Way to go and keep up the good work.

thanks for adding me to your blog roll...I have added you to mine also!

Regina said...

You are doing an awesome job! I know how hard it can be, not from personal knowledge (I hate pepsi!) but when my daughter in law was pregnant she had to go cold turkey! Whew, let me say there was no monster in the history of movies worse than her! But we helped her through it, so be glad you have a strong support system!
As for the extra day, well do what works for you!
Awesome job!

Regina said...

By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog, for the awesome encouragement, and for the support!

Blessings!

Sheldon said...

Whatever you decide, I'm game...although I suppose I have to go one day longer cause I started later...I'm going to say Thursday, just cause I'm going to be bouncing off the walls by the end of the week, so I need you to set the deadline earlier:)

Congrats on making it for a week.

Sharon said...

I know what you are going through. The closest thing I can associate with is a fast that I did. God set the days and I did it-but when it hit midnight--katty bar the door. :)
Sooooo, just make sure you are sitting down when you have it--you know you might experience a little caffeine rush. :)

Mary said...

I agree with valleygirl and erin. Going that one extra day will make you very proud of your success. Congratulations! You're doing a great job.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Way to go Andrea!! I was just checking in to see how you were doing. A few days ago I found myself reading your blog and I can't believe how much of it I read!! It's been fun reading about your family, Les blows me away! He's NOT the same guy I use to know. I guess being married changes us all! Gook luck!

Ang

Ruth said...

you're a star!

Gloria said...

sorry babe, I am WAY too cranky as it is, I cannot give up any of my vises right now.

Melanie said...

I think you're right- you should be able to have Pepsi on Thursday. I'll have to think about what I want (or should I say NEED) to give up. I don't drink soda, but I'm sure I can come up with something so that I can join the challenge.

pam d said...

Hey Andrea, here's some more company for your misery. I've been having acid reflux lately, and yesterday my doctor recommended that I give up all pop, juice and citrus fruits (in addition to already giving up coffee, alcohol, hot tubs, etc). But it's just for the next 6 months or so, and I think the prize at the end will be worth it!

Jamie said...

I would have possibly given something up with you for the last week, but I didn't read this blog in time (still no internet!!!) But I've already been on a "mini-fast" during my pregnancy. I chose to give up MSG since there are some studies saying it's bad for growing babies. Well, MSG is in EVERY snack food! Except sweets. Good thing! So I have (with a few minor excetions--oops!) not had chips, french onion dip, easy-to-make boxed suppers--the list goes on! I can't wait to eat Chinese food when the baby's born! Although I'll only indulge once, and then go back on my fast until I'm done nursing.

Anyway, WAY TO GO! I can imagine how tough it is to not cheat AT ALL. And I could not go without pop--it's one of my favorite treats. So congrats! And I agree, you should indulge on Thursday!