Saturday, October 27, 2007

moment of truth

Yesterday at work I was faced with a very distinct choice. Do the wrong (and very tempting) thing and likely get away with it? Or do the right thing and come clean.

Here's what happened. I arrived at work yesterday morning with my pay stub sitting on my desk. I wasn't too interested in looking at it, since I knew this was going to be my first pay period with only 2 days of work on it (usually it's 3 days every two weeks, but ocassionally it works out to only 2 -- this was the first time that has happened).

But I opened it up anyway...and I instantly noticed that instead of only paying me for working 2 days, they paid me for working 3. My boss had submitted the wrong hours.

The struggle that was happening inside of me was a tough one. I knew that this was an error that would likely go unnoticed. I was sure that I could take this extra money and no one would be the wiser. Besides, I'm a good loyal worker and I'm sure I'm underpaid for my 7 years of service to the company...right? Well, whether or not that last sentence is true, it is irrelevant in this situation.

Early in the afternoon (yes, it took me a good 6 hours to come clean), I took my pay stub into my boss' office and told him that they made an error and paid me for an extra day.

Was this an easy decision? No.

Did I consider walking away with the extra money? Yes.

Would I have been able to sleep last night if I had? No.

Did I do the right thing? Definitely.

Do I regret it? Not a bit.

It was my moment of truth...and I claimed the honesty policy and held onto it tightly.

6 comments:

Pam said...

I'm so proud of you! I know it was a hard choice, but you did the right thing. Often times the right thing is the hard choice. I'm glad you stuck to your values and told the truth...though I am sure you deserved the extra pay!

Regina said...

Yea for you! You of course made the right decision and it only took you 6 hours! Dosn't it feel great to know that you do the right thing even when no one is looking!

By the way
Wow, "The Hills Have Eyes" I couldn't even watch. The trailer for the movie did it for me, the same thing with the movie "Saw". I wouldn't dare!

WorksForMom said...

Oh good for you. The hard thing is the right thing usually.

FYI, I have a treat for you on my blog.

Ruth said...

that's awesome andrea. :)

Louise said...

Way to go Andrea!! the right choice... ;)

Melanie said...

This happened to me once too. It too me a LOT longer than 6 hours to come clean. When I finally did come clean they let me keep the money. But my conscience sure felt better.