Wednesday, October 24, 2007

the price isn't right for me anymore

I love The Price is Right. Correction: I used to love The Price is Right. When Bob Barker had the reigns.

I would watch every day when I was on my maternity leave with Joelle (and even when I started back to work part-time). It was the only TV that Joelle would watch. Kids shows? Who cares! Dora? Who's that?! She would ask every morning: "Watch Come On Down!" Seriously -- that was one of her first sentences!! She would point at the TV screen when I turned it on, and say "Bob!" with a big smile on her face when she saw him. It was our special thing and it was great!

However, once she discovered she actually enjoyed watching kid's shows (thankfully this happened shortly after Malia was born so I could get some reprieve), I had to cut out TPIR. I didn't feel right letting her watch cartoons first thing in the morning and then another hour a little bit later on. So TPIR took a back seat.

Fast forward almost two years later...

On Monday when Joelle was in pre-school, I remembered that Drew Carey was going to be Bob's replacement as the host of my favorite game show. I was skeptical of it when I heard the news awhile back, but figured I should see for myself how he would do. Besides, Malia had not yet been introduced to the wonder of The Price is Right and I thought it was time.

Boy, was I disppointed. I ended up watching for less than 5 minutes before turning it off.

In my opinion, they should just cancel TPIR. Or at least change it up a bit so it's like a completely different show with this completely different host. I dunno...replacing Bob Barker is like replacing Jennifer Aniston on Friends, or like replacing Matt Damon in the Bourne Supremacy movie series.


It just doesn't work.

Sorry, Malia (and others in her generation and in the ones following). You'll never get to experience the joy that The Price is Right used to be able to provide...

How sad.

8 comments:

Mango Marie said...

Dropping in to say I love your blog...and I couldn't agree with you more. Drew Carey is no Bob Barker! Sad, really.

Melanie said...

You are so right. Drew Carey is terrible on TPIR. I watched once for about 5 minutes too. I couldn't take any more than that.

pamj said...

"replacing Bob Barker is like replacing Jennifer Aniston on Friends" and that would just not be right! I totally agree. It is not the same anymore. I am sure for future generations though that they will continue to show reruns on channels like the Game show network or something!!

Pam said...

I used to watch TPIR when I was in school (well, over the summers) and though it was fun. I haven't seen it since Drew Carey took over since I am working...but it sounds like I am not missing anything!

On a happy note- Pepsi day tomorrow! I bet dinner won't come soon enough! I can't wait to hear how good that first sip tastes!

Pamela said...

The Pams are invading your blog, lol!
I agree! I watch the first episode that aired and was not impressed. I'd prefer to watch old reruns!

Sharon said...

How sad. Sometimes you should not mess with the good ole things.

Rebecca said...

I didn't catch the new show but when I heard he was going to be the new host it didn't sound right to me either. Nobody can replace Bob. I loved watching that show growing up. I don't think I want to even watch the Drew version.

Common Mom said...

I totally agree, even though I've never seen Drew on TPIR. I remember watching TPIR as a CHILD at my daycare provider's house. And even though I like Drew Carey, I just can't imagine anyone other than Bob asking me to control the pet population and have my pet spade or nudered :-)