Thursday, November 29, 2007

the day "soo-soo" got thrown in the garbage

**UPDATE** Well, Malia survived her first "soo-soo"-less nap. I was a bit worried because as her and Joelle watched the garbage truck take our trash away at lunch time, she seemed quite distraught. I was almost heart-broken for her as she thought her soother was still in the garbage can that was now being emptied into the big truck. I think she was wishing she had thought this through a little more....She cried for about 1/2 an hour before drifting off to sleep and then woke up about half-way through her nap to cry for a few brief moments. Not too bad, I'd say (I'm just glad that her bedroom is on the second floor, so the cries were muffled which made it easier to ignore). And when I got her up from her nap I exclaimed to her how very proud I was of my "big girl" which she responded to by giving me a big grin. She also seemed proud to tell her Daddy that her soo-soo was in the garbage when he came home. And now it is 8:05pm, the girls just got put to bed, and Malia is M-A-D. Maybe she thought it was just a one-time thing...? Oh well. It might be rough for a few days, but she'll eventually get used to it -- let's just hope it's sooner rather than later. There's no going back now though. It's going to be hard on her no matter when it happens, so we may as well just get it over with. Next on the agenda...potty training (well, not right away -- but hopefully within the next few months)!

In July we made a spontaneous attempt to take away Malia's "soo-soo" from her sleeping routine. It worked really well for the first few days here at home...and then we went on this camping trip and we regretted not thinking the decision through. Being in a different environment (and sleeping in a one-room camper with her sister and parents) proved to be too difficult to fall asleep without her beloved soo-soo. I think I calculated that Malia missed out on 19 hours of her regular sleep that weekend -- and as a result, the rest of us also didn't get the sleep we were needing and hoping for.

So once we got home, we made the decision to give it back to her. I know -- probably not the greatest way to go. But I figured we should wait until our schedule was more of a routine stay-at-home-for-nights kind of thing. But with several more weekends away in the near future, I just wasn't prepared to go through those kind of nights again. Malia was very relieved to see her precious soo-soo make a re-appearance and she slept really well the rest of the summer.

My goal was to have her completely weaned by the time she turned two -- well, for those of you who know her, you know that her 2nd birthday has already come and gone...oops! We've been making mention to her lately that she's getting too big for her soo-soo, but haven't really done much about it.

Until today.

I was once again talking to her about it this morning while I was getting her dressed. I told her that pretty soon she needed to start sleeping without it. She nodded at me and said "in garbage" with a smile on her face.

Not sure why she suggested the garbage -- coincidentally, thats the way Joelle got rid of hers too (at 18 months old) -- but hey, it works. So once I finished changing her, I said "Okay -- go put your soother away" and I waited to see where she would actually put it...in her crib like normal, or in the garbage.

Well, sure enough -- into the garbage it went! With a quick wave and a "Bye, soo-soo!", Malia turned and happily went downstairs to join Joelle, while I quickly snuck it out of the garbage can (just like we did with Joelle) -- you know, just in case.

It actually happens to be garbage day today, so I made a big production of making sure Malia saw me take the garbage bag outside, with her thinking her prized soo-soo was still in there. She looked quite concerned for awhile and I thought she would cry, but I just re-assured her that she was a "big girl" and could sleep without it, just like her big sister.

Nap-time is in about 2 1/2 hours...how do you think she'll do??

17 comments:

amy said...

wishing you both luck...bless you

Ruth said...

ahhh! be strong mama. i am in the same boat. and i am dreading the day we say good bye. (probably more than shiloh is)

pamj said...

what a big girl to do that herself :) keep us updated on the nap/bedtime today!!

Kellan said...

Oooh - what a big step and she did it all on her own - that is wild. I hope she does alright (I wanted to reach in that trash can and pull it out and hide it away for her for when she realizes what she has done). Good Luck. Take care.

Rebecca said...

Yay for you guys! I've never had those to deal with but I'm sure it's tough on everyone. Hope she does well!

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

I hope that Malia can get to sleep this afternoon. I remember the time when we had to take it away from Joel. Boy what a production....but with Kezia it was a breeze, and I wish that for you and your second child!

Pam said...

Good luck! I remember how hard it was for Ashlyn to give her nukker (what she called it) up too! She ended up with some odd soothing techniques after that (rocking in bed, banging her legs, things like that)...but those settled down after awhile too. Riley on the other hand never took one- I tried so many times and he just spit the thing out. So instead we suffered first instead of later. Hope her nap went well and I really hope nighttime goes well too! I'm so proud of her to throw it away herself..since she made the decision- that is awesome!

Gloria said...

oh boy! i remember that stage, it can be quite an ordeal.

thankfully my son never took to the soother, he would much rather cry and be colicky than be soothed by rubber.

Regina said...

Wow, I hope that went well for you and for her! Keep us posted.
Blessings!

Ruth said...

what happanned? what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?what happanned?

Pam said...

You're right...it will be hard now, but stick with it like you said. Might as well get it over with now- rather then dragging it out even longer and then it will be even harder. A few tough nights and then hopefully- success! Good mommy! hang in there. I will be thinking of you!

Melanie said...

I am NOT looking forward to this step with Hailey. I hope bed time went well tonight.

Ruth said...

ohhhhh
i feel your pain.
that day is coming for me too. and shiloh....

Leeann said...

I FEEL your pain! My daughter will be 3 in February and we are still fighting this battle.
My other girls were weaned by 18 months, but this child...ugh.
Every time...EVERY SINGLE TIME...we would try to wean her, she would land in the hospital. RSV, croup, pneumonia, bronchitis...you name it. Then, they WANTED the binki in her mouth, so that the oxygen coming out of the nasal canula was all she was breathing in.
One day...

WorksForMom said...

EGADS, I fear this day. I so hope it works out. You HAVE to let us know. I fear my son will be 18 and still sleep with his nuk.

A very promising move though, no?

Sharon said...

We will see how much sleep ya'll got in the morning. I remember Michael going through this. Except he through his out of the car window. When we looked and couldn't find it--we had our excuse. Julia wouldn't take a paci she used her fingers. That took us a while longer to break. No not her fingers--just the paci habit. ;)
BE strong!

Common Mom said...

Oh it's so tough! However, I only WISH my children would have actually liked pacifiers . . . they both HATED them from day 1, and went for fingers instead - thumb for my son and pointer finger for my daughter. My son stopped sucking his thumb in a timely manner . . . my daughter, however - TOTALLY different story. She's going to be 5 - yes 5 . . . and still relies on that finger every night. I SOOO wish I could just take it away - but I don't think the department of child services would take kindly to me throwing away her pointer finger.