Thursday, November 22, 2007

easy as a-b-c

With the cold & flu season fast approaching, I am wanting to do whatever I can to prevent it from hitting my home. Well, I should clarify -- I'm not really concerned about colds. It's the dreaded stomach flu that has me paranoid. I always say that I'd rather have a cold for a month than have the stomach flu for 24 hours.

I had gone m-a-n-y years unscathed from the stomach flu until a few years ago...hmmm, right after I had kids. Coincidence? I don't think so!

With Joelle being in pre-school, both girls in Sunday School, Les and I both working out of the home and all the other contacts that we have, we're bound to bring home germ after germ after germ once again this winter season.

They say that proper hand-washing is one of the best ways to try to prevent your family from getting sick, and with both of our girls washing their hands on their own now (well, Malia gets some assistance at times) this needed some serious attention.

I had seen on a commercial a long time ago that kids should wash their hands for as long as it takes them to sing their A-B-C's. So I told this to Joelle at the beginnng of the week, and she's been singing it every time since then.

Now this might not completely keep the stomah flu from entering our home, but if it helps our chances by any percentage -- it's worth it! And the novelty of singing while washing her hands might wear off for Joelle eventually, but for now it's working like a charm!

I have also been taking special notice to wash my hands longer than normal, too. And yes, every once in awhile I find myself humming the alphabet as well as a timer!

8 comments:

Sheldon said...

Why, Aren't you just the great little public service announcement....

ValleyGirl said...

This is a good tip. Too bad it doesn't do me much good now -- our amazing illness-free streak ran out after you guys were here on the weekend!! ;) It's not the stomach flu though, so we're still managing okay, although I haven't been good for much the last couple of days. Good thing it happened after company and not just before!

Pam said...

Can you come to my school to teach this little tip to the students? Oh wait...there is no water to wash hand with! Okay- enough sarcasm. You are right - this will help. Good hand washing is the best defense from all kinds of germs...good mommy!

Kellan said...

Cute pictures (I need to learn how to do that collage) - hope it helps keep all the sickness away from your house. Thanks for the Thanksgiving wish - I know you had yours last month (I forgot) - take care and I will see you soon. Kellan

Kellan said...

BTW - I like the new picture of you and your family in your sidebar - very nice family. See ya. Kellan

Ruth said...

your girls are soooo sweet! yer a good teacher ma!

btw guess who i connected with today -- nancy! do you remember her from P.L.?

Andrea said...

ruth -- YES, i remember nancy...how is she?? guess who i ran into the other day? elvin from P.L.

ah...the memories!

andrea said...

great way to learn the alphabets and keep the germs away. i am anal about my kids washing when they come home, this way i can make it fun. man, sounds like i'm awful to live with... i just hate being sick!!! great idea Andrea!