Thursday, November 15, 2007

what are the odds?

Those of you who know me well, know that I l-o-v-e shopping at Value Village (I'm not even sure if VV is only a Canadian chain or not...but if there are any American readers out there who do not know what Value Village is, it's a second-hand clothing/book/furniture store).

In summer I was on one of my many VV shopping-sprees, when I came up with a great find. See Malia's beautifully thick and cozy winter parka that she's wearing? I found it at the location near my work for the low price of $6.99. It was in near perfect condition and she needed a parka for this winter anyway, so of course, being the good Mennonite that I am, I quickly snatched it up.

But it gets better.

The very next day, I happened to stop by the other Value Village location in a different area of the city. And guess what I found? I'll give you a hint: check out the winter parka that Joelle is wearing! Yup. The exact same one. A bigger size, only $3 more than Malia's in even more perfect condition. Now, Joelle did still fit in her winter jacket from last year, but it always felt a lot thinner than what it should be in our cold Manitoba winter climate. So, what did I do? Well, o-b-v-i-o-u-s-l-y I made another purchase and now my girls have matching winter parkas.

I typically don't concern myself either way with matching or non-matching items for my daughters, but this was too good to pass up! I mean, really -- what are the odds??

10 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! Great finds! Uhm, can you start shopping for my kids?? I love good deals and those are better then what I find!

Sharon said...

We don't have these stores in our area. But I think it is great that you found these buys.Good shopping!

amy said...

they make a great picture..I love good finds

Ruth said...

my fave is sally ann on regent. THAT is great store. i found a BRAND NEW baby gap winter parka for shiloh!!! i nearly flipped.

Ruth said...

ps your girls are lookin soooo sweet in their parkas! good goin' mama!

Louise said...

Way to go bargain finder you!! I wish I had the patience to do that I guess I just should do it I may surprise myself!!

Melanie said...

What great finds. Amazing!!

Gloria said...

i LOVE VV and Sally Anne!

Jenn said...

That's my kind of a deal! I had wondered if you got them matching jackets on purpose.
I also love Value Village! The place we came from just got one shortly after the kid was born and we made it a weekly occurrance to go check things out. I haven't been to the ones in the city yet.
Looks like you and I might need to take ourselves a shopping trip one day!

mama said...

Yes similiar stuff has happened to me before too!! I love when it does but it's rare!