Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"12-Christmas-Things-About-Me-Hoopla"

Today while my mind was wandering at work, I decided to create my own meme hoopla (due to the popular dis-like of the 'm' word, I made an executive decision to change it to 'hoopla'). And keeping with the Christmas season, it's all about Christmas. Really it's just a simple twist to the 7 Random Things one that has circled the blogosphere more than once. Here are the rules:

1. List 12 random things about yourself that has to do with Christmas
2. Please refer to it as a 'hoopla' and not the dreaded 'm'-word
3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed...then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you -- but the more, the merrier to get this 'hoopla' circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.
5. If you want to -- please give me, Andrea, some link-love as the 'Hoopla-Creator'. I love new blog-traffic.

Okay...without further ado -- here are my 12 Christmas Things About Me:

1. I never got to be Mary in our Sunday School Christmas programs.

2. We always had an artificial tree growing up and I always wanted a real tree. Now Les and I always get a real tree...and I want to get an artificial tree.

3. When I was in elementary school I spent one Christmas in Mexico visiting relatives (that was my only Christmas with NO SNOW and it was so strange).

4. I also spent one Christmas in Ontario visiting my Grandparents (thankfully with snow!).

5. It was on that Christmas in Ontario where me and my siblings experienced 'opening' our gifts in a new way. When my Mom was a young girl, instead of having all of their gifts wrapped they had them all put into a large bowl at the table. So on Christmas morning we kids found our presents in large mixing bowls at the breakfast table. One thing was buried under another and it was a neat new way to get our presents.

6. I do not like egg nog.

7. I also can not stand short-bread. The taste/texture of it in my mouth just grosses me out.

8. My favorite traditional Christmas song is "O Holy Night." (the Celine Dion and Point of Grace versions are my current favorites)

9. I have never seen the classic Christmas movies such as "Miracle on 34th Street" and "It's a Wonderful Life." (at least not to my recollection...is that even what they're called??)

10. I was raised knowing that Santa Claus wasn't real (as was Les) and that's how we are raising our girls too.

11. Me and my old roommates used to celebrate each Christmas with a delicious chocolate fondue tradition. Mmmmmmmmmm...........(hey girls -- wanna do that again sometime?)

12. And finally -- what list of mine would be complete without some sort of "Friends" reference? So, to wrap things up...here are my favorite lines from a Christmas episode:

Phoebe and Rachel suddenly burst into Monica & Chandler's apartment. "I'll take the bedrooms and you look in the hall closet" Rachel hurriedly says (I'm paraphrasing here).
Chandler is sitting on the couch and says (in his fantastically hilarious and sarcastic way), "I can save you time, Ladies...I'm right here."

Okay, it's funnier when he does it, obviously...anyway, in case you didn't already know, they were actually searching for the gifts that Monica had bought for them. They did end up finding them but decided not to open them.

Alright...that's it for me. I am tagging....everyone on my blog-roll. That's right, Ladies. You're all "it." That means:

Ruth, Rebecca, Common Mom, Kathy, Erin, Sheila, Louise, Kristen, Jamie, Kellan, Melanie, Pam, Regina, Sharon, Tammy, Pamela, Leeann, Tara, Tammi, WorksForMom and Gloria.

27 comments:

Regina said...

Hey There Andrea!

I wish you had posted this 2 days earlier and then I could have done it! I just posted something similar on my blog yesterday so I have to give the blogosphere a little time to decompress! I will try to get it up before Christmas (just don't know when)!

Blessings,
Regina

Sharon said...

O.K-I have to share a duh moment.
First-thank you for sharing the deeeep things we never knew. :)
I never knew you were carrying around such regrets about not being Mary. So sorry girl. ;)
Then I saw the people you picked and I saw Sharon. I thought, is that me? Then I looked over to the side to see if I was on your blog roll and scrolled down to see if I saw my blog. Nope! I am not there.

Now for the duh moment.
I was looking at the titles of your posts. :)Yes, my face is red.
I don't often look at peoples blogrolls. Thank you for putting me there--how sweet.
And maybe this new hoooooooopla word will make reading my post not quite so....(what is the word?)--boring-- for readers. Now I am going to try and figure out some great, creative, soul searching,mind blowing things to share. :) Be prepared.
More great breaking news tomorrow!

ValleyGirl said...

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou for calling it hoopla instead of, well, you know what. Or being lame like me and just calling it an 'about me thingy'!

WorksForMom said...

I dislike egg nog too. What DO people like about it?

Thanks for the tag. I'll add it to my list! :)

Kellan said...

Hey - thanks for thinking of me (I will put it in my fault) and thanks for the nice comment on my new blog - you are too sweet.

You HAVE GOT TO SEE IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE!!! I had never seen it either and then about 5 years ago a friend of mine made me watch it and now I HAVE to watch it every single year - it is the best movie!!! Please watch it - you won't regret it!

ANd .. all your other things were so cool - the fondue, the Christmas bowl ... very cool. Take care and I'll see you soon. Kellan

pam d said...

That's a great Friends episode. I love it when Rachel calls Chandler "Linus" :)
Too bad you didn't grow up at MGC - I think I've played Mary at least 3 or 4 times over the years. I would've been willing to share!

Kristen said...

LOL! Hoopla! I love it. I'll get to work on this.

And I can picture that Chandler moment in my mind with perfect clarity. Gotta love that guy!!

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the tag! I should get mine up today :D

Rebecca said...

I posted! And I do believe that is the quickest turnaround on a meme er hoopla that I've ever done. Most I end up forgetting about.

Louise said...

Thanks Andrea I'll post soon!

Sharon said...

I posted my post.
No fantastic, incredible things-but I enjoyed it.

Jamie said...

I LOVE tha Friends quote. So funny!

Melanie said...

I love the hoopla idea! Maybe it will catch on so much so that one day we are all dreading the "h" word! Hee Hee!

#9??? WHAT!?!?!? You've got to see those movies!

I'll try to do this as soon as possible.

Pam said...

Oh man! I will try my best to come up with 12 things about me....I am a totally boring person! What fun that you created your own hoopla!

Ruth said...

christmas with no snow is strange. i had one chrstmas like that. i spent it in jerusalem. it was the oddest thing to be walking around in 25 degree weather and hear "jingle bells" blaring from some of the little shops.

Pam said...

I did it! You have to scroll down a bit though to get to the post I did for this.

Cindy said...

My favorite traditional Christmas song is also "Oh, Holy Night"...I really enjoy the Martina McBride version - I wish I could sing like that!...(in my mind I can...haha!)

Tara said...

Very interesting, mine is posted now!

KeepingTrackOfErin said...

I thought this would be easy...but it was kinda hard to come up with 12 things. But I love Christmas so it was fun to do. Thanks!!

Lisa said...

I was tagged by Sharon. LOVE the Hoopla and your blog! :o)

PAT said...

Hello Andrea,
I was tagged for this and enjoyed doing it so much. Thank you for creating this lovely Christmas Hoopla! I didn't think I would be able to think of a thing to write, but when I began, it all came so easily.

I'm one of the "seniors" in blogland. I think the only artificial trees in my early childhood, were the Victorian feather trees! I have seen both those old movies. They are both near and dear to my heart...with It's a Wonderful Life having the outside edge on Miracle on 34th Street.

Thanks again for this great idea!
Pat

Common Mom said...

I haven't forgotten - I just haven't gotten to it ;-) I WILL do a Christmas Hoopla post soon.

http://www.commonmom.com

Common Mom said...

I haven't forgotten - I just haven't gotten to it ;-) I WILL do a Christmas Hoopla post soon.

http://www.commonmom.com

Pamela said...

I finally did it and it`s up on my blog!

LEstes65 said...

I was tagged with your wonderful hoopla. Thanks for creating it!

Moanna said...

I just got tagged yesterday so am a little late. I've posted my meme if you want to check it out. Rambled on a bit long, but am putting off cleaning house. We got a new puppy this week, need I say more.

Anyway, I' glad I got tagged because now I've found your blog. Think I'll stay awhile, look around.

Merry Christmas!

storyteller said...

Look what you started woman! These things have a way of spreading like wildfire. I was "tagged" by Mama Zen and published my list on Small Reflections December 17th ... tagging others as instructed. All but one did the Hoopla and linked with my post through comments and/or I've discovered their lists and added links in a new post there yesterday ... just in case you'd like to get acquainted with a few more bloggers. I never got to play Mary either and I've only had ONE "white" Christmas since I live in Southern California at the beach. In 1975 we celebrated with the Minnesota family in 9 degree weather ... Brrrr! I learned just this morning (after Moanna left a comment on my list and I followed that link to read her list) that you created this meme. I'd added a link to your blog in my comment to Moanna, and of course, had to visit here myself. Thanks for getting this started. I've enjoyed meeting new bloggers and learning more about others.
Hugs and blessings,