Saturday, December 8, 2007

cheaper by the dozen

On Thursday Les and I burst into Christmas-baking-mode and whipped up some of our favorite recipes.

I started off with my delicious home-made "Skor" bars (thanks to a recipe I received from Tammi several years ago, these have become an annual tradition around here), followed by a big ol' pan of scrumptiously chocolatey f-u-d-g-e (also thanks to Tammi). Mmmmmm.........

While I was busy making the chocolate goodies, Les was giving my mom's recipe of Soft White Cookies a whirl (I made my delightful butter icing for on top). This was a first for us, and they turned out fantastically wonderful! We ended up with almost 11 dozen of them!! Plus my 2 pans of SKOR bars and my pan of fudge...I think we're all set! Oh, and Les had already whipped up several dozen butter tarts last week. We have never done this much of our own baking before, and I was proud of our accomplishments.

The girls, of course, helped with the icing of the cookies and putting the sprinkles on top (with the help of Joelle's new neighbour friend -- but I haven't asked permission to post pictures of her so I won't).

The whole dining room table was full of these yummy white cookies in their shape of bells, Christmas trees and candy canes.

The beautiful sound of Christmas music was filling the air and it was a wonderful time spent with my little family.

(doing all the dishes afterwards wasn't quite so fun though...)

21 comments:

CresceNet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
andrea said...

looks fabulous...what an awesome family tradition. if you are looking for someone to taste test the goods, i'm your girl...!!!

Tara said...

Sounds very yummy! I better get a move on with some Christmas baking.

ValleyGirl said...

Thank goodness you have a dishwasher!! Mmmm, it all looks so yummy!

Pam said...

What fun! and yummy! I hate the dishes afterward too! So glad that you all had a great time. You made wonderful memories!

Tot's Mom said...

Glad you had a great time with all the baking. And afterwards, all the washing that needs to be done... urghh! That's what I hate as well.

Melanie said...

That looks like fun and it looks so delicious. If you're not sure what to do with all of the extra you have- I'll give you my address and you can mail me some.

I don't mind baking, but I sure do hate the clean up part. No one ever wants to help with that.

Leeann said...

It sounds like a FABULOUS day!

Margo said...

You're making wonderful memories for your girls. Everything looks delicious!

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

Yummy! You guys look like you had a great time baking. 11 dozen! Good for you...now who are the lucky recipients of your family bake day?

Kellan said...

Goodness sakes - they just looke delicious and I just love your little helpers. What a fun day! I am going to bake some this week and wrap more presents. Have a very busy day today - have a good afternoon and see you soon. Kellan

Gloria said...

ahhh, good times my friend

Sharon said...

They all look great. I will get started on the baking soon. Are you doing some type of cookie exchange? Maybe I missed the info in your post.

WorksForMom said...

YUM-O. 11 dozen? Oh my, if I had 11 dozen of those in my house - I'd eat 10 of the 11 in the first 2 days!

Anonymous said...

As Rachel Ray would say, "Yummo!". Those goodies look delectable. Can I try one? or two? Chocolate is always good this time of year. Too bad the things that taste best in this world aren't as healthy as we'd like them to be.=)

Sandy Carlson said...

They sure do look delicious! You're an inspiration. We had hoped for a snow day today to start our cookies, but no luck. Tonight!

Beautiful post.

Margo said...

ps - could you email the recipe for those skor bars?

Louise said...

Way to go!! YUM YUM

Kristen said...

Ugh! Every blog practically that I visit has everyone doing such yummy looking baking and I have done NOTHING!!! Good grief. I really should get some baking done. My girls would love to do that. I need some major motivation, though.

It all looks great!

Common Mom said...

Soft White Cookies- YUMMY! Any chance it's a recipe you can share that recipe . . . . maybe on Friday for Random Recipes?

Awesome day - I LOVE baking . . . always smells soooooo good - and the tasting isn't bad, either ;-)

http://www.commonmom.com

TammyIsBlessed said...

Good for you for letting the girls "help" - especially when you were doing so much!

I'd like the skor and fudge recipes too.