Monday, December 10, 2007

i can see it now

Joelle loves "making" her hair. She's not at the point yet where she does her own ponytails, obviously -- but she loves putting in headbands and clips...a-l-l of her clips.

I used to only let her put in her own clips when we were at home, or going to the grandparents' houses or something. But now I have loosened the reigns and I pretty much let her do it whenever she wants...to the mall, to church, to pre-school, anywhere.

I love that she enjoys doing it. I love that she's p-r-o-u-d of her masterpieces (although when people compliment her on her clip-displays, she shyly hangs her head and will not respond). I love that she is choosing a simple -- and harmless -- way to express herself. And I love that I'm okay with her doing it (I just hope people know that she's the one adorning her head with those clips, not me!).

One day Joelle will be a hairstylist, I'm sure of it. If not a professional one, she'll at least be one who loves doing her friends' hair, and she will always be creative with her own do's. Everyone will wonder how Joelle will do her hair next. She will be a trend-setter. And she will be the kind who looks good in any cut, colour and style. She will become my own personal hairstyle-guru.

Yup. I can see it now.

11 comments:

Pam said...

LOVE IT! I let Ashlyn pick out her own clothes and even though she doesn't match, etc- I let her go. I figure it teaches her independence and things like that. I usually tell people- I know she doesn't match, but she picked it out and when she wants to do it herself- I let her. No sense in a momma doing all the work if the kids want to! ;) I love Joelle's creativity and how she is finding fun and fantastic ways to share herself with the world. Way to go!

Ruth said...

awwwww
sooo sweet! maybe she can teach shiloh a thing or 2....

PS BLOGGER CAME THROUGH IN THE END!! DAY 6 and many, many pleas for help and they have restored my blog. it's just at a different address until i figure out what to do....i'm a bit afraid to touch ANY buttons right now.

Kellan said...

She's too cute! She is a girl after my own heart - I am the one my sister and mother have to cut their hair and I am always changing my hair as well - you too, right? I love all the clips and stuff for girls hair. Take care. kellan

Sharon said...

I love that you are letting her express herself in this way. She loves herself and the way she looks. Way to go raising a secure child.
I wish Julia loved wearing things in her hair besides a head band. And we are in the awkward stage because she has decided to grow her bangs out.Not sure I like the look. But it is her head.
As soon as some one at church comes in with bangs I am sure we will be changing styles. :)

WorksForMom said...

That's cute. Is she taking appointments? :)

Tot's Mom said...

I guess that's what little girls like to do. And really, you might just have a personal hairstylist at some point in the future!

Common Mom said...

Awesome! Looks just like my daughter's hair . . . she loves to put pretties in her hair . . . I do the ponies and she gets to decorate the rest of her head ;-) Fun fun fun!

http://www.commonmom.com

Leeann said...

LOL-Your Daughter and my Daughter should meet. My child comes up with some of the STRANGEST hair styles...but, she loves it, so who am I to judge?

Kristen said...

That's very sweet! And a harmless way to express herself. Good mama, letting her go out in public expressing herself! ;-) I'm sure they know that she did her own hair. ;-) And if not; WHO CARES! :-) She looks FABULOUS!

Melanie said...

Adorable!! You're such a good mommy to let her do it all by herself. Letting her be creative like that is wonderful!

Our Happy Happenings

Rebecca said...

How fun! Glad you let her do her own thing!