Tuesday, December 18, 2007

i love this child

The other night I had the most wonderful and a-m-a-z-i-n-g experience with my little miss Malia.

For some reason Malia just was not falling asleep at bedtime. Usually she is a great sleeper; we put her in her crib and we don't hear a peep (well, except for the ocassional singing).

But this night was different.

She kept crying and calling out for "mama." Since this is unusual for her, I kept checking in on her and of course as soon as I walked in the room, she was all smiles. After the 3rd or 4th time, I figured enough was enough and she could just cry herself to sleep.




But my maternal instincts kicked in full force and I ended up going back in there one last time.

I picked her up, and she got cozy in my arms as we relaxed in the rocking chair in her room. You know how sometimes it just feels right? I mean, it always feel good to cuddle with your kids -- but sometimes it's different; it just fits. That's how it was for us that night.

It took only a few mere seconds after she had settled into my arms until she was asleep. I could hear her loud, steady breathing and her precious snores escaping her perfectly plump lips.

I treasured every moment of that peaceful embrace and I took some time to pray for this beautiful child; this adorable little girl who has blessed my life beyond measure.

As I finished my prayer I quietly whispered, "I love you Malia."

I wasn't expecting a response from my sleeping child. But her eyes -- that had been still for many minutes -- briefly fluttered open, a soft smile graced her lips and she gently spoke.

"I love you, too."

Then her eyes closed and the snoring instantly began again.

And I knew in that moment that Malia had been s-a-v-o-u-r-i-n-g this experience just as much as me -- even while she was sleeping. Through her soft slumber she still knew that her mommy was with her; cuddling her, loving her, praying for her. She knew it was a bonding moment between the two of us. And she allowed herself to come out of her state of sleeping long enough to let me know that she loved me too.

13 comments:

Leeann said...

*tear*
The little moments like this is what Mommy-hood is all about.

andrea said...

what an incredible moment. amazing really...God had planned this special moment for you and Malia. she is so adorable. isn't it amazing these blessing we have been given? these are the times that you just know that you are doing this parenting thing right!

Tot's Mom said...

Awww... that's just so sweet. Moments like this with your child is what makes parenthood worthwhile.

Margo said...

Thank God for beautiful moments such as these. Never ignore those mommy instincts.

Ruth said...

awwww
those are the best mommy moments ever.

Daphne said...

priceless!

TammyIsBlessed said...

There's nothing like holding a sleeping child - definitely a moment to treasure, especially when combined with the unexpected "I love you".

Louise said...

Very sweet!!

Jamie said...

That sounds so perfect and peaceful--I'm happy for you, those moments are great!

Pam said...

You totally brought tears to my eyes! What a moving story! I guess I shouldn't get frustrated when mine don't sleep and enjoy the time...

Melanie said...

Oh, now you've gone and made me cry. Very beautiful. It's those precious little moments that make the other not so precious little moments all worth it.

Lisa said...

And they pass by so quickly... Sniffle.

Sharon said...

Girl you need to put that in a memory book for her.
That was so sweet. Sometimes I miss those days.
Then my friend bring over her 4 month old and I am cured. :)
At least for a little while.