Wednesday, December 19, 2007

a love-hate relationship

I love hate have a love-hate relationship with the food court at the mall. We went to a nearby mall the other day to finish up some Christmas shopping and stopped at the food court for a bite to eat before heading home.

This is the part I l-o-v-e about the food court: the smells. Oh, it smells divine. It makes my stomach crave the deliciousness of the aromas that are wafting into my nose. It makes my mouth water and I m-u-s-t eat something....NOW!!

But what to have?

The selection is fantastic. There's greasy burgers & fries, there's pizza & salad, subs, chinese food and the list goes on.

What do I want...? What do I want...?

I know! I'll have a sub. Yup. A delicious ham sub with all the fixin's (well, all of my kind of fixin's which isn't actually a whole lot -- ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato and sub sauce...I know, pretty boring but to me it's scrumptious!). Oh, no wait -- that chinese food smells really good (then I remember that I don't really enjoy Chinese food all that much and that it makes me sick afterwards). Okay, so how about a big ol' tub of poutine? Mmmm...yeah, that's what I'll have; poutine. Well, but then there's a Teen Burger with onion rings...you can't go wrong with that. Nope -- I've got it...pizza and caesar salad. That's the winner. For sure. Except for maybe the tacos. Okay, I've decided -- tacos it is. It's affirmative.


Of course you know when you eat at a food court with other people, nobody ends up getting the same thing. The girls got A&W burgers & fries and Les got food from the Sizzling Wok. I sat there eating my tacos and mexi-fries and kept glancing over at everybody else's meals.

Oh...that smells so good. I should've gotten the greasy burger with onion rings. Wait, now I can't smell the burger anymore...it's being over-powered by Les' sweet & sour pork and sesame chicken. That is a delightfully delicious scent.

And suddenly my tacos -- which had won the battle only a few minutes earlier -- weren't looking, smelling or tasting so good anymore.

I should've had the Sizzling Wok. Or even my big tub of poutine...no, wait. I should've had a ham sub. Oooh...or a giant slice of pepperoni pizza....

And that is why I h-a-t-e the food court!

19 comments:

Mango Marie said...

I had to read your post at lunchtime didn't I? Now I'm really hungry! I too love the food court at our mall. So many choices...

TammyIsBlessed said...

Ugh - I can totally relate. I often end up being disappointed with my choice right after I sit down to eat it. Or even afterwards. "Hmmm, that was good - but xxx would've been so much better, why didn't I get that instead?!"

andrea said...

that was so funny!!my stomache is hurting from your story telling...i have never thought there was a dilemna at the food court. i guess i'm too boring...ham and cheese sandwich from Tim's every time without even noticing other restaurants. it has never crossed my mind before...now i'll be more patient when we go there together!

Ruth said...

:) i am the opposite. since i am in "that stage" of pregnancy -- the food court makes my stomach churn. the smells make me want to spew. i can't get out of there fast enough these days. :)

gloria said...

lol, have you ever noticed your fixation on food?

Kellan said...

You are so right - this very same thing happens to me every time we eat at the food court - I'm never happy with my choice. See you later. Kellan

jason said...

your a great blogger cuz...keep it up

WorksForMom said...

All I know is that I am really craving that A&W meal in that photo right NOW! Oh man.

And you so nailed this post.

Regina said...

Ha! LOL! Too funny! Sad but true! Whenever me and my kids go out I am never happy with my choice and they do not want to share! Can you beleive that?? So selfish!

Blessings!

Leeann said...

Any of it sounds good. Awwww....greasy fooooood....yummmmmmm

Louise said...

SO TRUE!! Makes my stomach growl...lol!

Jamie said...

Oh you made my mouth water! But I pretty much always get the Chinese--I just can't pass up Chinese. I once in a while get the tub of poutine or A&W burger too, though. Oh yum, now I wanna go to the mall!

Pam said...

You sound just like me in a food court or well, any place to eat. I have a terrible time deciding because I think so much looks, smells, tastes wonderful. I truly enjoy food! Oh, I's so hungry now! I love buffet things because then I can get a little of everything! Or when Ashlyn doesn't finish her meal because then I can taste it - you know, because I don't want to waste the food ;)

Melanie said...

Now I'm hungry! Very hungry, in fact.

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, guess you'll just have to eat there more often so that nothing tempts you anymore because you had it just recently!

Regina said...

I have something for you. Come by and get it.
Blessings!

Lisa said...

MMM... Wouldn't you just like to graze through all of it? LOL

Tot's Mom said...

Oh, I usually get my husband to order something that I too would love a bite of while I get myself something else. Selfish of me, I know, but so far, my husband has been quite accomodating, I should say. ;)

Sharon said...

No one seems to be in the dark-but me.
What is poutine?
Or maybe I am just having a senior moment.
HELP!