Wednesday, December 5, 2007

things are not always as they seem

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone is fighting some kind of battle"
~Unknown

I've seen the above quote on a few blogs lately and it's really made me think. I don't know about you, but I tend to forget the truth of that quote far too often. Often, by appearances, the grass looks greener on the other side; I get jealous of people far too easily. Some people just have it all...right?

Must be nice.....
to have such a great body. But maybe -- just maybe -- they feel if they don't do whatever it takes to look that way, nobody will love them.

Must be nice.....to have no family responsibilites and be able to do whatever they want whenever they want. But maybe -- just maybe -- they long for a family of their own and are unable to conceive.

Must be nice.....to have such a big, beautiful house with all the 'trimmings.' But maybe -- just maybe -- it's only a house and not a home.

Must be nice.....to be able to afford fancy cars, TV's and a whole new wardrobe. But maybe -- just maybe -- they are struggling to pay the heating bills just to prove that they can keep up with the Jones'.

Must be nice.....to always look like you've just stepped out of a fashion magazine. But maybe -- just maybe -- their good looks on the outside is an attempt to make up for the hideous cancer that is raging on the insides.


I'm not saying that this is always the case. It is possible to have a big, beautiful house and have it also be a home...it is possible to be able to afford fancy cars, TV's and a new wardrobe because you work hard for your money...and it is possible to have a great body because you take good care of yourself. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But sometimes I think it's healthy to remember that things are not always what they seem. Jealousy is a beast in my life that I am trying to fight -- and what I need to remind myself of on a consistant basis is that everyone -- absolutely e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e -- is fighting some kind of a battle. So rather than judge somebody...or begrudge somebody...I need to take the time to pray for whatever battle they are in the midst of. And I also need to remind myself that instead of being jealous of other people to rather be grateful for the blessings God has given me ('cause really -- He has blessed me abundantly!).

10 comments:

Kellan said...

You are very wise and I loved this! I often do think that people should be nicer that they don't know everyone's story!! It is something I need to do more often - consider the story behind the person. Thanks for a great post. Kellan

Pam said...

I have that quote on my blog...to remind me that I am not the only one struggling to get through this life...somedays are easier then others. But thanks for the reminder...you said it well!

ValleyGirl said...

Interesting how easy it always is to forget....

Regina said...

very nicely written, and very true.

Blessings!

WorksForMom said...

You know Andrea, I totally relate to that post and quote. Things truly are NEVER what they seem. Human nature is strange that way, always wanting what you don't have...

*le sigh*

Kristen said...

I've been thinking about that a lot lately. It's definitely a good thing to keep in mind!

Thanks for the reminder. It's good, particularly around this time of year!

amy said...

beautiful, thanks!

amy said...

beautiful, thanks!

Leeann said...

You are very smart. This is very true. However...I do want the killer body, beautiful house and perfect children.

Instead, I have the body I have killed, a beautiful house...with your eyes closed and nose pinched shut and children who make me perfectly happy.

Guess we can't have it all! :)

Sharon said...

Very good post.
I am also learning not to jump to conclusions. Sometimes people just give you part of the story because they are really to afraid to give the whole thing.
Good reminder.