Wednesday, January 23, 2008

change of plans

Here's the schedule of how my day was supposed to go today:

11:30am - leave for my Mom's house
12:00pm - arrive at my Mom's house and feed the girls lunch
12:30pm - put Malia down for a much-needed nap (the poor girl is fighting through a cold)
2:35pm - wake Malia up and get both girls bundled up
3:00pm - arrive at the doctor's office for appointments for all 3 of us (my Mom in tow)
4:00pm - leave the doctor's office and get home for supper and the evening

And here's the schedule of how my day actually went today:

11:30am - leave for my Mom's house
11:49am - here's where things went off-schedule (yes, already!).

I was nicely driving along, belting away to the girls' kiddie music, in a good mood. I slowed down the van to yield onto the major highway that would take me into the big city. Once I made it onto the highway, I started to accelerate to get up to the 100km/hr speed limit. Only I couldn't.

I tried to push the gas pedal, and I just couldn't accelerate.

I pulled over to the side of the road (with relief that although my gas pedal didn't work, at least my break pedal did!) and put the vehicle in park. I sat there for a minute and then tried again Still no go. Huh.

I reached for my cell phone -- can I just tell you how thankful I am for cell phones? -- and called my Mom. She was just finishing up work and said she would come and pick me up as soon as she could. Thankfully the problem with the van wasn't affecting the motor, so we could still keep warm on this bitterly cold day while we waited to be rescued. In the meantime, I also called Les at work to get him to make an appointment at an auto shop.

12:28pm - My mom came to our rescue (thanks again, Mom!)
12:45pm - We arrived at my mom's and sat down to lunch
1:20pm - Malia finally got her much-needed nap
1:25pm - My Mom went back to the abandoned vehicle to meet up with the tow truck driver with her CAA membership
2:35pm - I woke up a very tired and cranky Malia and got the girls ready to go to the doctor's office
3:00pm - had our doctor's appointments (both of my girls are in the 90th percentile for weight, and Joelle is in the 97th percentile for her height!!)
4:15pm - left the doctor's office to go back to my mom's
5:00pm - Les arrived at my parents for supper and to collect his family to bring them back home
7:10pm - We all arrived home for the evening
7:30pm - Both girls are in bed
7:31pm - I put my feet up after a somewhat stressful day!!

I have to say, I'm quite proud of myself for how I handled the vehicle mis-hap though. I was quite calm about everything (although I was somewhat disappointed that for the whole 1/2 hour I was stranded on the side of the road, nobody -- not one person -- stopped to check if I was okay), and even after hearing from Les that it was likely a transmission problem which could potentially cost up to $2,000 to repair, I didn't freak out!

I kept reminding myself that nobody got hurt and that we were all safe and sound. That was the most important thing. God would take care of the rest.

Maybe it was also my experience with vehicle mis-haps that kept me calm, cool and collective. Afterall, in the 4 short years since Joelle has been born, I have had 3 incidents happen while driving alone with my child(ren). The other 2 incidents ocurred with our Jeep -- one was when one of the rear tires just decided to fall off, and the other one was when the brakes decided to stop working. Have I mentioned how grateful I am for cell phones??

Things may not have gone quite as planned for today -- and we still haven't heard what exactly is wrong with the van and how much it will cost to fix it. But at the end of the day, I am at home with my family and everybody is alive and well. What more could I ask for?

14 comments:

Jamie said...

Way to stay positive! I know it is H-A-R-D sometimes to see the bright side, but it does help to really dwell on that. Glad you're all okay.

Jenn said...

I'm glad you are all right. What on earth did people do before cell phones!?
I hope the problem with the van is not too serious. And I hope Malia is feeling better soon with her cold!

Xandra said...

Bless your heart. I am all too familiar with transmission woes as of late, and I'm sad to report that it was quite expensive. But, like you, I am thankful that no one was hurt. After it's all said and done, it's just stuff, right?

Glad you're finally home and able to kick back a little.

Xandra

livin' with me said...

I can't imagine what people did before cell phones. Of course back then- others actually stopped to see if you needed help.

But, you're right- everyone is fine and that is the only thing that matters.

Hope Malia is feeling better.

Mango Marie said...

Wow...you handled that like a pro! Wishing you an uneventful Thursday!

MamaGeek said...

Wow, now that's a good tude! You are so right with that perspective Andrea. How scary. I'm so glad you are okay. Dang, always something!

Rebecca said...

Glad you guys are okay & you handled it well. It's scary when the car stops working and you expect that it should. I hope things work out well with the repairs.

common mom said...

Glad you are all safe! It also really bothers me that NOBODY will stop to even check it out. In this world of freaks and nasty people, I can understand why. BUT, it still bothers me. I grew up in a rural town, and you couldn't sit on the side of the road stranded for more than 3 minutes without at least 5 people stopping to help and offering to give you a ride. And given the cars I was driving, that happened often ;-)

Way to stay positive! What a great lesson for your little girls to see.

Jen said...

Oh the best laid plans of mice and men...

I cannot express how much I loathe car problems. Sorry you are going through that.

Pam said...

Glad you guys are alright! Too bad your day didn't go the way you planned it too :(
Good thing you have a back-up vehicle too!

Sharon said...

Nothing like problems with a car to throw a little snafu into a days plans.
I am glad ya'll are o.k.
And did you say the speed limit is 100 miles and hour?
Maybe I misunderstood.

Pam said...

I am sorry about your day! Good for you on the staying positive! Maybe I should take lessons from you!!

ValleyGirl said...

Man, you and your vehicle troubles! I hope it's nothing too terribly serious and costly. Although transmissions... Glad you're all okay and what a good thing you've got a second vehicle to get around with!!

Louise said...

Yikes that sucks!!
I have had so many car troubles in my day too and alone with the kids a few times too!!
Proud of you for keeping it together!!