Wednesday, January 16, 2008

come and gone

Well, another birthday has come and gone. You wait for this day -- your special day -- for a whole year and then it's over in a f-l-a-s-h! Here are some birthday highlights...

On Monday (the day before my birthday), Les and the girls took me to the city to go out for dinner. I got to choose where we were going, and despite threats of having to wear the dreaded bull horns, I decided on Montana's. We hadn't been there for awhile, and I love their chicken wings and mashed potatoes so I decided it was worth sacrificing my dignity. And yes -- I have a picture of me in all my bull-headed glory (flushed cheeks and all!) to share with you...go ahead and laugh. I did.

As for Tuesday -- my actual day of birth -- it was a good day. I went to work on my birthday, which some people thought was unfortunate for me. But I had a different out-look on it. Sure, it would've been nicer to sleep later than 6:30 on my birthday, but other than that, I was actually happy to be at work. The way I figured it, I was able to be in an environment where people acknowledged my special day and made me feel appreciated. Whereas if I had been at home with the girls all day...well, let's just say that they wouldn't have necessarily made it their priority to treat Mom extra special.

The moment I arrived at my desk on Tuesday morning, those thoughts were re-inforced as I saw these b-e-a-u-t-i-e-s greeting me:

That's three -- count them -- THREE Pepsi's. Yup. E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y knows my love for Pepsi (and for the record, I only drank one that day...the other 2 are still chilling in my fridge waiting for just the right ocassion).

After work, I met up with Les and the girls at my parents' place for a scrumptious birthday dinner (menu hand-picked by me!). Here's me with my piece of chocolate pie -- notice the candles on it? My wonderful brother thought it would be funny to make it look like I was turning 35...ha ha ha. Good one, Jamie! I can still honestly say I'm in my twenties...at least for another 364 days!!

And the classic blowing-out-the-candles picture...I held my pose a bit longer to make sure that it got captured on film. You know -- 'cause it's such an attractive pose and all!
And one last picture for you all...me with my adorable 2-month-old newphew, Maxen. He had just received his first shots earlier in the day and was a bit cranky. I managed to cuddle him to a peaceful sleep -- and then Les stole him from my arms...on my birthday. Can you believe it??
And that was that. I thoroughly enjoyed my 29th birthday, including all the blog comments, emails, phone calls, etc. Thanks to all of you who took the effort to make me feel special on this day. I appreciate you all!!

13 comments:

Mango Marie said...

Wow...sounds (and looks) like you had a fantastic birthday!

Jamie said...

Glad you had a good day, Andrea. I always really look forward to my birthday too, and am always disappointed when it's over. Happy belated birthday!

Lisa said...

Great pictures! :o)

LOVE the horns! TeeHee

Hmm... I smell baby powder... ADORABLE nephew!

Ruth said...

awww little maxen just relaxin'. so sweet.

Sharon said...

I am so glad you had a great day.
And thank you for posting the picture with the bull horns--very cute.
But I will say you make me feel old. How did I get so old. O yes, birthdays!

common mom said...

Glad you had a great day! I agree - the breakfast in bed made by the kids on my b-day is always great, but unless you get to spend the day with hubby kid-free, you might as well go to work the rest of the day. Birthdays at my office are awesome . . . the birthday fairy makes you your favorite dessert, there's a card, dessert, mini party, everyone coming over to say Happy B-day to you . . . it's fun :-)

And, 35 is not THAT bad ;-) I just had my 35th - celebrated with my best friend, who's birthday is 3 days before mine. We had a 70s Disco Skate Party at Skate City - it was a blast!

Erin said...

stay 29..enjoy it..i am actually going to start to work my way back from 29 this year!
glad u had a great day!

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a great day. Many blessings this year! I love you very much.

Pam said...

I love the bull horn picture- what fun! Sometimes, it is good to laugh at yourself....we can't always be serious. I am so glad that you had a good birthday. Those Pepsi's look yummy! Oh your newphew is just so cute! I love babies- when they belong to someone else and keep someone else awake all night. If they are mine- I prefer the stage where they sleep ;)

I'm so glad you enjoyed your special day!! I'm in my 20's still too (at least for 6 more day!)

Melanie said...

I'm glad your day was so wonderful! You are so brave to share all of the pictures of yourself. I really enjoyed looking!

Regina said...

Wow that hat looked heavy! I hope you didn't go into pepsi over load...
I can tell you day was awesome! Now you can rest up until next year!

Leeann said...

Happy birthday! It looks like you had a great time and have an amazing family!

Jenn said...

Happy Belated! I'm glad you had a great day. You should have told me it was your birthday, I would've brought you some goodies!