Friday, January 25, 2008

a first time for everything

Today marked the girls' first trip to the dentist. And yes -- the first return trip for Les and I in what seems like decades. Well, I have been once since we've been married, but Les hasn't gone as long as I've known him. Oops! I guess now with kids, we will have to be more on top of things.

I don't know about the rest of you though, but I h-a-t-e going to the dentist. The sounds, smells, tastes...shudder!! I wasn't sure how the girls were going to do, but they did surprisingly well. Since this was their first visit to the dentist, they didn't get an actual cleaning though. They just got to 'ride' in the chair and the dentist counted their teeth.

Sounds simple -- and it was. But for my kids...well, let's just say I was expecting a lot of kicking, screaming and flailing. So I was rather impressed that there was little resistance from both of them.

Malia was actually very excited to get her turn in the chair (after watching Daddy go first), and didn't even let Les sit with her on the chair. She did, however, hold onto his finger for support. But she happily co-operated and opened her mouth wide and didn't seem to care that the dentist was sticking his fingers into her mouth.

Joelle on the other hand...it took a bit of persuading to get her on the chair. And even when she did, it was on Les' lap (he's leaning way back so you can't see him, but he's there...). She didn't open her mouth nearly as wide as her little sister did, but she didn't cry or try to squirm away. I was proud of both of them for being so brave! Next time though, Joelle will need her teeth cleaned with the electic toothbrush...that could be an entirely different story! But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

So all in all it was a good trip to the dentist. And the best news? My mouth is still 100% cavity-free (and Les didn't have any new ones either!).

12 comments:

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

Glad to hear that the experience for your girls was a positive one. I have to admit that we all (except Carl) LOVE to go to the Dentist. Can't figure out why...I don't think the toothbrushes we get are that amazing!

Pam said...

I am weird because I like going to the dentist--I hate the eye doctor. Ashlyn did real well her first trip to the dentist as well. I think if you start them out early, then it is easier because they get used to it before they think about being afraid. We had Ashlyn watch me go though because Gar turns white and gets all sweaty....not a pretty picture. Anyway- glad it went well!

Lisa said...

Glad your visit was good! :o)

Rosie has a great pediatric dentist she's had since she was 15 months old, but she gets panic stricken every time she goes.

The very thought of going to the dentist makes me cringe... My dentist is a really nice guy too! Go figure...

Jenn said...

I'm glad everything went smoothly. And YAY for no cavities!!

Hazel said...

hi,here a Big Bang - World Record Tag for u. Have fun.

Margo said...

Regarding your concern about a cleaning for Joelle next visit ~ do you think it would help if you got the girls power toothbrushes? They could get use to the noise and rotary brushes, and then it might not seem so scary when the hygienist is doing it. You can get very inexpensive brushes by now.

One day your girls are going to love you for having pictures of every significant event of their lives!

ValleyGirl said...

Good job. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't taken my girls in yet -- and it's been at least 6-1/2 years since hubby and I have gone as well. Margo had some good advice; I may have to follow that one myself.

Kellan said...

I'm glad it went well - it can be so traumatizing - I hate the dentist and have spent my share of time in the dentist chair this past year. My kids are good with the dentist - especially Little Billy. Alexis does good too. Glad your kids did well. Take care Andrea - have a good weekend. Kellan

Regina said...

Kids have so much more courage than adults! They don't get fearful until adults start making them scared ( are you ok, you're not scared are you, did that hurt?).

andrea said...

dentists...oh, what fun! we had five visits this last summer for ryan...if you are looking for an amazing dentist for kids...check Tuxedo Dental....like Disney world ...no joke! happy that y'all made it unscathed.

Kelly said...

You give me hope. My daughter's first trip is coming in a few months and I am dreading it! I keep thinking she is going to bite the dentists finger or something!

Louise said...

Hey where did you go? I unfortunately have to find a new dentist as Conrad's dad is retired..man that sucks now we have to pay for it..lol!
Let me know!!
The pictures are great, I haven't been in far too long and I need to get the kids checked..ick!!