Sunday, January 27, 2008

it's always good to come home

In fall I did a post entitled "my church...my family" where I spoke about my struggles with leaving my life-long home church of FG and making a new home for myself at MG.

Today I went back to FG for the first time in 2 1/2 years. The last time I was there, I was still pregnant with Malia.

As soon as I walked through those doors, it hit me. I. WAS. HOME.

The church family has grown and changed and the building has since been renovated -- but I knew without a doubt that my connection to this church was alive and s-t-r-o-n-g.

I was amazed at how much had changed though. Mostly with the people. Little kids that used to only be knee-high to a grasshopper when I last attended were now half my height (has it really been that long?). Some of the kids in my special K-Family (you know who you are!) even participated in the service by playing the piano. The youth kids who I used to be a sponsor for were a-d-u-l-t-s. One even is married with a baby! Others are youth leaders themselves now, or are evening running the college & career group. They are responsible young adults, and as I watched them today and learned a bit more about them -- I was like a proud parent, for I had a hand (however small) in guiding them in the directions they took in life.

As always, it was during the congregational singing where I got the most choked up. I looked over the congregation and saw the faces of many cherished friends. Each face held a memory (or a thousand!) and I was so happy that I was able to experience being among them one more time.

I really do love my current church -- MG -- like I stated in my previous post about churches. I know that MG is now my home church, and I feel very much a part of it; they are family. But FG will always be "home" to me. And that's okay.

The pastor of FG even asked me that very question during our short conversation this morning: "So, does it still feel like home?" I responded without hesitation, "Yes. And I think it always will."

Ah...it's always good to come home.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

That is so great that you still feel a wonderful connection to your "home" church yet can call your new one home too.
I'm sure our church in Hometown will always feel like home to me no matter where we settle into here.

amy said...

thats beautiful...

Melanie said...

We have this issue right now too, except we don't really like our current church. Whenever we visit "home" it just feels different.

I have tagged you for ABCDE links and I have an award for you too. Stop by to check it out!

Pam said...

I'm so glad that you had a great visit 'home' and felt the warmth and love.

PamJ said...

So glad you have more than one church that you can call 'home.'