Friday, January 4, 2008

random recipes ~ soup/stew edition

It's time for the second edition of Pam's Random Recipe Exchange -- the soup/stew edition. Mmmm...nothing like a pot of hot yumminess to help warm us up during this frigidly cold winter!

I was so excited about the stew recipe I was going to post that I started craving it...so that's what we had last night for supper (which worked out great, 'cause now I have pictures!).

I don't have exact amounts of everything though...it's one of those recipes from my mom who always says "I don't measure it...I just do it to taste or from experience." So I've had to learn to do that too, which isn't what I would normally do. Anyway...here it is:

Beef Stew

Chunks of stewing beef
Beef OXO powder (or KNORR)
Carrots, Potatoes, Mushrooms, Celerey, Onions, etc (whatever you want)

Stir-fry beef; add water, OXO powder, salt, pepper and other spices that you want (such as basil, onion powder -- if you don't like to cook with onions like myself). Then add the carrots and potatoes, etc.

After that, there are two ways to cook the stew.

1. Bake it for a couple of hours at 350 F then mix 2 heaping TBSP flour with cold water and add to stew. Bake for another 30 minutes.

2. OR do it in a pot on the stove for an hour, boiling on medium heat (stir occasionally). Then mix 2 heaping BSTP flour with cold water and add to stew. Keep boiling for an additional 5-10 minutes (stir constantly).

And of course -- nothing completes a meal of a hearty stew like home-made biscuits. So...I am also including my favorite biscuit recipe:

Drop Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1 tsp garlic powder

Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, cheesse & garlic. Mix and drop by tablespoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 450 F.

And there is your complete meal...ENJOY!

Now go visit Pam's site and leave your link to your own soup/stew recipe!

18 comments:

Sharon said...

If it is all finished I'll be right over.
And girl those biscuits look like they would make you want to "slap your mamma". A Southern expression. Meaning you have lost your mind because it was so MMMMmmmmm good!

RYC--I am sure I will be relearning some things with Julia. Maybe I will "get" math this time around.
And all those time tables that I use everyday--HA!--I'm sure they will come right back. Or at least I hope so. :)

Kellan said...

Yuuuummmmm!!!! That is just my kind of meal - I just love soup/stew with bread on the side! Thanks for the great recipe. See ya. Kellan

Pamela said...

Looks like a nice comfort meal!

Melanie said...

That looks soooo yummy!! I don't usually do very well with recipes where I don't know exact measurements. It messes with my perfectionism. But- this looks so delicious I'll have to give it a try.
I know my biscuits would never turn out like yours!

Livin' With Me

jennwa said...

Soup and biscuits. That sounds to yummy. Great pictures. Makes me hungry right now.

Lisa said...

Hope you made enough for all of us! :o)

Andrea said...

Sounds wonderful! And it just so happens that I have some stew beef I need to use up too! Perfect! ;)

Common Mom said...

Ooooh I love beef stew! I think I've said I love every kind of soup/stew in the exchange so far . . . guess I like soups :-) Looking forward to trying this - thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Mmmmm - love me some cheesy biscuits! I might make those tonight!

ValleyGirl said...

I gotta start buying stewing beef; I miss having this meal. Actually, I have some rather tough steaks in the freezer -- those would probably work well here. Hmmmm, this is making me hungry...

pam d said...

I'm not a big "stew" person, but those biscuits look great. With the cheese and garlic, do they taste sort of like Red Lobster biscuits?

TheVasquez3 said...

oh YUM!! and the biscuits...*drool*!!

Leeann said...

I want the biscuits. Oh, how I want the biscuits.

Pam said...

Oh, I W-A-N-T that food NOW! I can't wait to make those biscuits...that plate of food looks yummy. Thanks for playing along. Seriously, I am planning my trip to your house so I can have some leftovers!

Pam said...

Oh, I forgot- check out my sidebar...I update the recipe exchange for next time

Heather said...

I didn't get to make the biscuits last night because of one cranky baby. We'll try again for tonight!

AGK said...

That looks especially yummy!

Xandra said...

Now that could have been a post for the Photo Hunt challenge this week. Topic=delicious!

Xandra