Saturday, January 26, 2008

warning: the following contains material that might be offensive to some readers

Do you all want to hear something that would make my mother cringe? (Mom -- consider yourself warned!)

Last new year's eve, our family was hit with the oh-so-dreadful stomach flu; we rang in 2007 running back and forth between our bed or couches and the bathrooms. Not so fun.

Okay, so that was like, what -- 389 days ago (give or take), right? Well, here's the part that's going to make my mom cringe, shudder and maybe even gasp.

The cuddly brown sleeping bag that I used to cozy up with on the couch? I can't believe I'm about to admit this to everybody...but I just threw it in the washing machine 2 minutes ago.

Yup, that's right. For the past year and 25 days, that brown sleeping bag has been curled up on my basement floor in the laundry room. I was almost scared to see what was underneath it!

I know -- it's disgusting. It's revolting. It's horrendous. It's sad. But it's true.

I'm not sure how long flu germs hang around on materials -- I'm sure less than 389 days -- but I was sure to t-h-o-r-o-u-g-h-l-y wash my hands with warm, soapy water after touching that disgusting sleeping bag.

Mom...are you okay? Mom...?? Uh, Dad...you might want to check on her!

**Update** Okay -- to clarify...it's not like the sleeping bag was covered in puke or anything.
It was just used to cover me while re-cuperating on the couch on new year's day (after the worst had passed).
It was just collecting dust down there...really. I just put it in the dryer now and it smells nice and fresh and
C-L-E-A-N-!!
please don't judge me...

8 comments:

Pam said...

I'm not sure what is funnier---the way you wrote this post or the fact that it is true!

I hate the stomach bug. Ashlyn has it as we speak and I HATE it. I just know I am next, too because that is how it goes.

Hopefully all those germs are washed off your sleeping bag!

livin' with me said...

I would have thrown it away. To gross to even think about washing it!

Jenn said...

I think I would've thrown it away too! You had me nervous there for a minute talking about the stomach flu. Illness involving bodily fluids of that nature stresses me out, I'd rather deal with anything else!

Lisa said...

Not judging...but... EW! :oP

Rebecca said...

I'm glad to know it wasn't covered in yuck - though with it sitting down there for a year I didn't think it would be. Glad it's clean & smells good again!

Sharon said...

You are too funny!
It is o.k--we will try not to judge you too harshly.
Because you know if we judge you......well you know what will happen to us.:)
Glad everything is smelling fresh as spring.

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

Ahhh...am I ever relieved to hear at the end that it wasn't caked in puke. I was feeling pretty queasy. But good for you Andrea! Good for you to put it in the laundry. Now the question is, will you ever be able to use it?!

Jen said...

LOL. When you said offensive, I thought it was going to be something really juicy. Just a dirty sleeping bag. I'm disappointed, lol.