Saturday, February 2, 2008

do you hear what i hear?


**Updated Sunday Morning -- see below**

Listen...do you hear it? Come on...close your eyes, tune everything else out -- there. Now can you hear it? Still no, hey?

Alright, I'll tell you. It is the sound of a kid-free night!

That's right. No kids tonight. Les and I had the privilege of going on date night tonight (after spending the afternoon taking the girls swimming). We went to the mall, did a bit of shopping and had a bite to eat and went to see a movie.

Since it was going to be a bit of a later night, we had asked Les' wonderful parents if they could keep the girls for night and we would meet up with them at church the following morning.

So we already got the wonderful treat of an evening to ourselves...but it doesn't end there! We get to have a peaceful night without the threat of any possible interruptions (not like our girls are up all that much at night...but still), followed by a quiet morning. Well, a quiet morning for me anyway. Les has to get up at 6:00 to go to work for a few hours before church. But I get to sleep in!!

That's right. I get to sleep in until 9:00 -- let's see if I even remember how to do that! -- AND I get to spend the morning only getting myself ready. WOW!! What a luxury.

So that sound I'm hearing -- the sound of a kid-less night -- is a very precious sound! (although I'll be more than happy to have them back tomorrow night...it does always feel a bit strange when they're not at home sleeping in their beds)

**Update: Well...I didn't get woken up by any kids this morning. B-U-T, I did get woken up an hour earlier than planned by my alarm clock that was set in error. Oops!! I accidentally turned on Alarm 1 (which was set for 7:45) instead of Alarm 2 (which was set for 8:45). Oh well. Now I just have more time to e-n-j-o-y the peace and quiet rather than just sleeping it all away...or at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself!!**

13 comments:

PamJ said...

Woohoo for a night out! That's great! I love sleeping in :)

Xandra said...

I can hear it, and it is music to my ears! I just LOVE it when Trevor and I get not just an evening out, but the entire night to ourselves. It seems so decadent...enjoy!

Xandra

TheVasquez3 said...

LOVE IT!! congrats! especially on the getting to sleep in part...what a luxary!

Pam said...

sleeping in? what is that? I told Gary that the day Riley turns one he is sleeping upstairs in the guest room (want to come stay in it?) and taking care of the kids because I am turning the monitor off and I am sleeping in. I doubt it will happen, but it is a nice dream! YEAH! for date night. That is wonderful. We all need to recharge ourselves and a quiet, peaceful night is great for that. yeah, yeah, yeah1

Margo said...

It's 7:55 am ~ I hope you're still sound asleep. I "hear it" quite often by now, but I remember how glorious time alone together was. And, there's something about being all alone at home for a time ~ exquisite. You deserve this break ~ ENJOY!!

Kellan said...

That sounds great - I hope you had a wonderful evening with your husband!!! I also hope you have had a great weekend - see you later. Kellan

Jen said...

That's great! Sorry you had to get up early anyway though.

My mom has been over, so I've been able to sleep in because the kids wake up her instead of me. Mwahahahaha.

Melanie said...

What is this thing you speak of called sleeping in? Ha! I don't think I could do it if I had the chance.

Glad you enjoyed it!

andrea said...

date nights are fabulous. happy that you could go out without having to worry about your girls. kids jumped on our bed at 9am this morning and still made it to church 1/2 hour later, showers and all! rather be woken by them than that nasty alarm. sorry 'bout wakin' early...yes, you were a great sport about that. you'll just have to do that again very soon to make up for it!

Lena said...

waking up at 9.00 and it is an achievement :O though ok, it was not really 9.00 but still...
OMG... i am not sure if i still want kids :D

But it is great you got little bit time for yourself :)

Leeann said...

Oh. Wow. Hear the jealousy seeping from me?

Jenn said...

Sometimes a relaxing morning by yourself is just as great as sleeping in!

common mom said...

Oh what a sweet sound - the sound of silence :-) This past January we started a kid-swap with some friends - every other month we take the other's kids for a 24 hour period . . . our kids will be leaving the house at 5:00 p.m. on February 9th . . . and I am SO EXCITED! Of course I will love to get them back, but I can't wait for that night :-) However, I KNOW I won't be able to sleep in - 6:30 a.m. is engrained in my body's clock . . . it's not possible to sleep past that :-(