Thursday, February 7, 2008

a little of this...a little of that...

I don't normally do a mish-mash post. Usually my posts are about one subject; they have a rhyme and reason to them. But not this time! Since I have been going to bed so early the last few evenings (see here if you don't know why), I haven't been able to update my blog regularly which has been driving me crazy!! But I knew it was more important to take care of myself, so that's what I did. As a result, I will be taking a page out of Pam's book blog of randomness and jumping all over the place.

I'll start with an update on how I have been feeling. My never-ending headache still seems to be an issue, but not quite to the same extent. Oh -- I have figured out how to describe how this headache feels. You know how you feel after you've had a good cry? Your eyes feel all tired and puffy and your head just feels full of pressure? It's not really a painful headache; just a whole lot of pressure. Sometimes to the extent where it feels like my head is going to e-x-p-l-o-d-e. Not fun. But it's better than the migraine I had back in May (click here to read about that scary experience).

Anyway, after having a bit of a mini-breakdown at work this morning, I decided to call my doctor's office to make an appointment. I left work 2 hours early after having a very on-again-off-again type of day in hopes of getting some answers. I was immediately disappointed upon entering the doctor's office as I found out that my doctor had been called out on an emergency. At least my previous doctor was there and was available to see me (after a lengthy wait!), but it wasn't what I was wanting. I transfered back to my original doctor for a reason and I was disappointed when she wasn't there for me to see her.

To make a long story short, this doctor prescribed me with a preventative medication that she suggested I go on for a month to see what that would do for me. After talking to both the pharmacist and my public-health nurse best friend, I decided not to fill the prescription at this time. I'm not very keen on going on prescription medication if it's not absolutely necessary. Instead, I picked up some Excedrin -- which is supposed to be a stronger headache medication than Advil or Tylenol -- to give that a shot first. If things don't improve over the next few days, I can always fill my prescription. I also spent a big portion of my drive home praying that God would help heal me. I told Him that I had complete faith in Him and I handed the situation over to Him. I took my first dose of Excedrin as soon as I got home, and about an hour later I was already feeling an improvement. Praise the Lord! My energy level seems to be improving as well, and I am looking forward to getting another good night's rest and seeing what tomorrow brings me.







On a completely different note -- I had to share this picture of my little miss Malia. Isn't she a beaut?

I don't know about you, but I think the socks-over-the-pants look might make a come-back...what? You don't agree?

Yeah...maybe not.










And one final thing: Today is my Mom's birthday! I won't tell you how old young she is, but I will tell you how blessed I am to have such an amazing woman for a mother. Thanks Mom for all you do for us. You are a gem that I treasure. You are an incredible Mom to your 4 grown children (and 4 children-in-law) and an amazing Grandma to your EIGHT little grandchildren. We are all so blessed to have you in our lives and I love you very much! (you can read more about my love for my mom here) I hope you have an amazing birthday and an excellent year. And -- you don't look a day older than 40! Love you Mom!

16 comments:

TheVasquez3 said...

girl iam feeling ya on the headaches. i forgot about the excederin for migraines. i went on preventative meds for a month not long ago and it really did help, this was after like 3 weeks straight of REALLY bad migraines and headaches. i don't take it anymore...just cuz i wanna eliminate all meds so i can make a baby soon.

TheVasquez3 said...

oh and the socks over the pants...i rocked that in the 80's!!

MamaGeek said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! And I love that leg warmers look - she just MAY bring it back.

I had migraines which seemed a lot like what you described. I was extremely sensitive to noise and light. I hope you feel better soon and get some answers my friend.

lisa marie said...

I LOVE the socks over the pants look. :) My grandma's birthday is the 7th too. :) Happy birhtday to your MOm!

Jenn said...

Hopefully you'll continue to feel better over today and the weekend.
And Happy Birthday to your mom! Are you doing some cake eating this weekend with her?

Xandra said...

I hope the Excedrin works for you. Trevor has chronic headaches so I really feel for you!

The socks, the socks. Hmmmm...what to say about the socks? If anyone could bring that particular style into vogue, it would be your sweet little one!

Xandra

Xandra said...

I hope the Excedrin works for you. Trevor has chronic headaches so I really feel for you!

The socks, the socks. Hmmmm...what to say about the socks? If anyone could bring that particular style into vogue, it would be your sweet little one!

Xandra

Marie said...

First off...happy birthday to your mom! And the socks over the pants...I just had a major flashback to the 80's!

I hope you get the whole headache thing figured out. Before I got pregnant, I would take Excederin Migrane for my intense sinus headaches...its was the only thing that worked. Hope it helps you.

Teachin' this mommy new tricks! said...

Happy birthday for your mom! And hopefully you will feel go and not have to worry about migraines!

Sharon said...

I am glad you are feeling better. The exploding head symptoms visit here when the sinus allergies step in. Not fun!
And if we don't put a shut down on them then we get a visit from Mr Migraine. Grrr!

Happy birthday to your sweet Mom.

Pam said...

I'm sorry to hear the headaches are still there- maybe you can try to see you doctor next week if you are still dealing with it. I understand not wanting to take meds if you don't have to. Very cute picture of Malia- she would have loved the 80's!

Happy Birthday Mom! Thanks for giving us all a wonderful friend!

Kellan said...

I'm so sorry you have these awful headaches - I hope the Excedrin helps. My daughter Chloe suffers from headaches off and on and we are always trying different medicines and we have recently put her on Excedrin too and it seems to be helping.

I love the picture of your sweet daughter - so cute.

Happy Birthday to your mom - I hope it is wonderful for her.

Have a good weekend Andrea - get some good rest. Kellan

Melanie said...

Hey Pam... I mean Andrea I'm glad you're back to posting. I do hope you're feeling better and I will keep you in my prayers.

I love the picture with the socks over the pants. Brings back some memories ;)

Happy Birthday to your mom!!

Tot's Mom said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!
I get migraines too especially, when there is a change in seasons. I don't know why but when the weather suddenly turns cold during the coming of winter, I end up with a headache. Anyway, hope your heachache will go away soon and never come back!

Leeann said...

I'm so sorry about your head! I have suffered with migraines for about 13 years. Nothing too fun. Every time I would fill my perscription for the preventative stuff...I'd end up finding out I was pregnant.
Are you sure you wanna fill it? LOL

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you're starting to see some relief with the headaches. I hope you are able to see your regular doctor soon.