Friday, February 15, 2008

my little artiste

Yesterday afternoon I took the girls next door for a cute little Valentine's party hosted by Jenn.

One of the fun planned activities was to make a valentine craft. Joelle was the last one sitting at the table working on hers; the other kids had already left to go play downstairs.

Joelle was meticulously finishing her craft when Jenn complimented her work and said, "You're going to be an artist when you grow up."

Joelle looked up and smiled and confidently said, "I'm already an artist."





I love her self-confidence! I really am impressed though at how well she draws, colors, and even how well she uses scissors. She's definitely a crafty girl and I love it when she makes pictures for me.

This is her doing her latest painting today. Van Gogh -- look out!!

This picture below shows her ability to not only color really well in the lines but it also shows how well she can handle a pair of scissors. She just loves cutting things out. Sometimes I'm surprised at her patience.

Now the hardest thing is deciding which crafts to keep and which ones to throw away hide in a plastic bag and put at the end of the driveway on Thursday mornings.

14 comments:

common mom said...

I LOVE kid art! I have a tough time deciding what to keep as well. Do you scrapbook? I do - and kind of a freak about it - but that's another story. Anywho . . . after I scrapbook their month of photos (yes, each month) I put a few of my favs on just big ol' pages, but then I create a pocket page and put the rest in there so they can take them out and look at them when they want to. I also keep some for mine and Dan's album :-) Happy crafting!

Jenn said...

Oh that is so true. We have so many around here that no one even notices if some "disappear" after a time.
I love her patience and how much care she puts into everything she makes. Oh to have that kind of attention span around here!

Pam said...

Oh how beautiful! She did a great job! She is really good with scissors- Ashlyn is not nearly that good with her artistic side yet. Maybe I just don't have the patience to let her develop it...I am so sleepy these days.

I love your storage space at the end of the driveway ;) We have one like that too!

Kellan said...

She is quite the little aritist!!! My twins are exception artist now and just love art - they were this way from the time they were Joelle's age - I hope she continues to love it and endulge in it - it is such a gift. Take care and have a good weekend - Kellan

TheVasquez3 said...

Joelle is correct she IS already an artist!

Rebecca said...

You could matte & frame some of her artwork and put it in various spaces throughout the house - I've seen it done on several decorating shows & looks nice. Also, if you have favorites that are smaller you can put some into a memory book. Or you can rotate her artwork on a peg board or magnetic board. Granted, you can't keep every creation but taking pictures of some & saving your favorites is a great way to manage them. By the way each time I meant to say 'artwork' I'd start typing 'heartwork'...hmmm.

Kelly said...

How neat! She really does do a nice job. She is really into the details.

Hey let me know when you figure out an answer for what to keep and what to file 13. I always struggle with that one!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I hear ya! I have a craft one too.
She is always turning out something and unless I plan to use them as wall paper--some of them have to be "put away".
But is does make buying gifts for holidays supper easy. Anything from the craft section makes her happy.
Cute work from your confident girl--glad she had fun.:)

lisa marie said...

I love the art and hearts and happy late Valentines day! :)

Regina said...

aaaaaa, Beautiful! That brings back memories!

Lena said...

she really does it well... i never was able to do well with scissors :D
But this cutie is definitely a little artist :)

livin with me said...

She is good with scissors. As a former preschool teacher I can't tell you how many kids had NEVER even held scissors before being in my class.

Great artwork from a lovely artist!

Leeann said...

We, too, have the same issue. My children LOVE to color/paint/draw/write me love notes and I end each day with about 5 from each of them. Each and every day. Yup...it's a lot.
I save certain ones (like the one my daughter drew of her Dad and her sister at the park. But...across the top it says: This is Daddy beating Avery. Kid you not. Now, of course this never happens, but it's funny as hell that she drew this!)
Many, so many, end up gracing the county dump.

Louise said...

Those are beautiful!!