Thursday, March 27, 2008

another milestone

Yesterday Malia took another step in growing up. First we said good-bye to her soother, next it was kicking the diapers to the curb -- and yesterday we bid a fond farewell to her crib. Yup, that's right...Malia now sleeps in a big-girl bed (well, really it's just her small crib mattress laying on the floor -- but it's a start).




She was very excited to part ways with her crib, and she waved and said "Bye-Bye crib" as Les packed it up in its box. No tears were shed at the end of that relationship.

Well, truth be told, someone was a little sad -- ahem, Les. But I was excited. Actually, I was practically throwing my head back with a loud, bellowing bwa-ha-ha-ha kind of laugh. Can you tell I'm ready to be done with all things baby-related?

I was wondering how the night would go, but she surprised us. She did do some jumping around at bedtime, but she never even tried to come out of her room, and by 8:30 everything was quiet.







Of course I couldn't resist checking on her when I went to bed though. I was half expecting her to be laying on the floor, but she was right where she was supposed to be. Doesn't she look cozy? My heart melted as I watched her sleep. Isn't a sleeping child one of the world's most precious sights?







And when she woke up in the morning? She remembered the rules: Stay in your bed until Mommy comes to get you.

I'm so proud of my big girl.




And now that we're done with all things 'baby'...time can stand still for a little while! (did you hear that, Time?)

14 comments:

Louise said...

Congrats big girl!!! FUN FUN

Joanna said...

Oh she's soo cute!!

TheVasquez3 said...

she is so cute!! love the big girl bed and the GREEN walls...awesome!

Amanda said...

Congrats Malia. Nice comforter.

Margo said...

Such a good idea to just start on the floor ~ don't have to worry about major falls that way. Well, maybe the reason is that you don't have a bed yet, but still...good thinking. And, yes, a sleeping child is incredibly sweet and precious.

Arn & I are going out tonight, and I'm planning on wearing Twin 2. Almost feels disloyal, but they are my favorite, so...

Xandra said...

She's getting so big! Your rule about waiting until Mommy comes to get you reminds me of Nathan. We finally had to tell him that he was not allowed to get out of bed until the sun came up. He would come bounding into our room, excitedly proclaiming, "The sunshine is up! The sunshine is up!" Conversely, if we woke him up early, he would say in that sleepy little voice, "The sunshine's not up yet!"

Good times...

Xandra

ValleyGirl said...

Haha, good luck with that!!

Jenn said...

So many milestones all at once!! How nice for you that she stayed in her bed. Hopefully that won't change!

Roo said...

wow! impressive. did she ever try crawling out of her crib before you moved her?

Pam said...

Oh how precious! Congrats to you both! I did the same thing with Ashlyn when we moved her from the crib to the bed. She actually stayed with the mattress on the floor until she was 3. Then we finally put her in an actual bed. She thought sleeping on the floor was the way it is meant to be ;) I think that is smart because it is a shorter fall from the floor then a bed.

Anyway- sorry for the post on your post ;) Great job! Congrats to you both!

andrea said...

i can't believe that Malia is old enough for a bed. that is pretty cool that she stayed in bed all night for you.she must be so proud!

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

That's just awesome Andrea. Malia must be just so proud of herself. And the best part is when she's ready for a bigger bed, you can go shopping with her!

Kelly said...

Wow, That's so great. I'm impressed she stayed in her bed at bedtime and waited for you in the morning. Lyndsy gets up every morning and comes running to my room. I don't usually mind but some days I really wish she would stay in her room!
I hope "Time" listens to you.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how quickly Malia is growing up! In a big girl bed already???
jackie