Wednesday, March 26, 2008

the basement: phase 1

Jenn and I are continuing the transformation of my house room by room. We started with the living room last week, and today we started Phase I of my basement. Yes, that's right -- Phase I. It really was a disaster down there, and since Jenn is like Monica from friends (only not quite to that extreme), she's thrilled to help me out...right? I wanted to wait until each phase was complete to reveal the final tansformation, but I just couldn't wait to show off our progress.

Here are the Before pictures of how my basement looked just this morning (and yes, sadly this is the normal state of this area of the basement):



Uh, yeah. In need of some desperate attention is an understatement. We spent a solid 2 hours re-arranging, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning and sorting. Funny how something like that would seem like a huge c-h-o-r-e doing it alone, but when doing it with a friend, it's actually fun. Go figure!

Okay, and now -- drum-roll please...these are the After pictures of how things looked once we put in a good 2 hours worth of hard work! It's hard to get the full effect since you can't see the entire room in any one shot, but you get the general idea:



The girls are very excited to have a room that they can actually properly play in now (Malia is actually just dancing around, but doesn't it look like she's cheering "Hooray!!")



I love the new look of our rec room and I'm already looking forward to Phase II. In case you're wondering, Phase II will involve going through boxes and drawers of toys (that are conveniently hidden from view) and sorting and organizing them -- and getting rid of some of them...shhhh, don't tell the girls!

I think Phase II might also turn into Phase III, which will involve moving some toys and such into the girls' rooms which in turn will result in re-organizing those rooms! Funny that we've already lived in this house for two years and are only now starting to get things the way I have always wanted them...clean and organized! And all thanks to my detail-oriented, organized, particular new friend! Thanks, Jenn!

12 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

Isn't it amazing how much of a difference just a little bit of tidy organization makes?! I know, you'd think it'd be easier to maintain...

It's funny ~ we all love a neat and tidy house (even in my girls, I can tell they're much happier when their room isn't a disaster) and yet it's SO HARD to get into the habit of picking up after ones self!!! Well, in my experience anyway!

Sharon Brumfield said...

How fun to have a basement. We don't have those around here unless you want an indoor pool.
We are below sea level.:(

Love the new look--I too loved being organized. It drives me crazy when I am not. But I do try not to let it bother me too much. :)

Roo said...

what a pal!!! love the new rooms you are enjoying.

amy said...

no more pics please! You may motivate me to do something to myself which is needed!
haha

looking great

Jenn said...

I can't think of a better way to spend my morning. :) I'm glad you like the result.

Pam said...

very nice....now if you and Jen would like to make a road trip--I could use some serious help around here

Glad you have a great friend so close by!

Melissa said...

Great job- man do I ever need to clen up my house:)

Margo said...

Very, very nice.

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

I'm so happy for you. Man, I wish I could be there to sort. That's one of my most favourite things to do. And you can only do so much sorting in 600 sq. feet. Maybe I can come help during Phase XXIV!

PamJ said...

Rick is convinced that you and I are very similar! hehe... We had to go through the basement recently too and it is just invigorating to go through everything, purge a little and the results are amazing. My goal is to keep my house like this too, but like Tammi said it IS HARD. That is awesome the girls enjoy it too :)

Louise said...

Great job!
My basement SOOOO needs a tidy..grr how come it never stays that way!

TheVasquez3 said...

wowza!! you girls rock, my house next ok!?

i am so behind on all of my bloggy reading...my google reader is in the triple digits but i am plugging along...SEE i am on the letter L now...progress!