Thursday, March 13, 2008

breaking news

I'll just cut right to the chase. At the end of March (or there-abouts) I will be following the lead of some of my friends and privatizing my blog.

Why? you ask.

Well, for two main reasons. The first being more security. In the back of my mind, it's always been a little frightening to know that a-n-y-b-o-d-y in the entire world has access to this site. And even though I keep my last name and my location from making an appearance on my blog, it ocassionally still gets a little bit un-nerving (note: I likely will still refrain from using our last name and our location just to be on the safe side, even once I have gone private).

The second reason is because I don't have time. I don't have time to continue increasing my blog-roll and keeping up with everybody! Don't get me wrong -- I l-o-v-e having visitors and getting to know new people. And I have met some wonderful friends through this venue -- friends who I truly believe I will keep up with for many, many years. But as time goes on, more and more people keep discovering my site -- and I theirs -- and it consumes more time and energy to keep up with them all. I would rather spend more time refining the friendships I have already made, rather than spreading myself too thin with a lot more people. It's about quality for me, not quantity!

That is the reason why I stopped participating in Wordless Wednesdays a few weeks ago already. And I know, I know -- if I didn't want more blog traffic, why did I participate in the Ultimate Blog Party last Friday? Good question! Well, truth be told, I wasn't really planning to and then suddenly at the last minute I changed my mind and whipped up my party post. Afterall, you never know who you're going to 'meet', right?

But on the other hand -- you never know who you're going to 'meet'...you know? (refer back to reason #1 if you're unsure of what I mean)

But, due to reason #2, I didn't even get around to checking out hardly anybody else's Ultimate Blog Party posts anyway!!

So...what it all boils down to is this: if you want to continue reading my blog starting next month, you will need to let me know. Please do not assume that I know you read it and that you will want to continue reading it. I do not want to have the job of making sure I do not miss anybody.

You will all need to email me at lesan@mts.net and let me know if you want to be sent an 'invitation' to view my blog -- this goes for bloggers and non-bloggers alike. I'm not entirely sure what is all involved -- I haven't really looked into it yet -- but I likely need your email addresses and I think you also will need to sign up for a google account. But rest assured that it is a simple procedure that literally takes one minute (yes, Mom -- even you can do it!). And I also believe that you only have to sign in to my blog the first time you visit me (as long as you're from your own computer), and then after that you will automatically be directed there when you enter my blog address or click on my link.

You know what this means? It means for all of my lurkers out there...your lurking days are numbered! Yes, that's right -- I will need to know who you are if you want to keep reading my blog.

If you currently 'lurk' and I do not know you, but you have your own blog, I will need to know your blog address so I can first 'get to know you' before giving you access.

If there are any questions about this, please let me know. Otherwise, I will wait to hear from you!

(Please know that I reserve the right to deny a request for access if I do not feel 100% comfortable with it)

26 comments:

TheVasquez3 said...

i go back and forth about this all the time. i am still not sure what i am going to do but i 100% respect your decision. AND even though i HOPE you don't, i understand if you deny my request to be one of your readers, i realize you can't allow EVERYONE to read or why bother making it private, right?

but i would TOTALLY miss your bloggy goodness!

Jenn said...

Sign me up.

Louise said...

Hey Andrea
I understand, I have done that to my blog and it is kinda nice to know who is reading it and surprisingly enough I feel more able to share what is on my heart b/c I know who is reading.
I would love to still read your blog so sign me up I think you have my email.
L

Erin said...

i think u have very good reasons for doing it. u never know who is out there. my hubby reminds me of that all the time. that is why i only keep pics up for a short period of time. whether or not that is helpful i don't know. but it makes me feel better

Erin said...

i think u have very good reasons for doing it. u never know who is out there. my hubby reminds me of that all the time. that is why i only keep pics up for a short period of time. whether or not that is helpful i don't know. but it makes me feel better

ValleyGirl said...

Sign me up, please!

Marie said...

I totally understand. I have yet to post any pictures of me or my family on my blog. Security is always on my mind.

Sheldon said...

doh!

My google reader isn't going to be as useful anymore. Oh well, you know me, sign me up.

storyteller said...

I'm sorry your blog won't remain 'public' any longer, but I certainly understand. I don't have any easily accessible 'real' identifying info about me on either of my blogs ... though having typed that, anyone who was determined enough could probably find me. I 'lurk' more often than I comment because if I don't have anything of substance to contribute to a conversation in the real world ... I'm a listener. I will miss you once you're gone and would love to be included on the list. My email's readily available on my Blogger Info sheet.

Hugs and blessings,

Melanie said...

I completely understand your decision. I'll send you an email and hope you'll let me be one of your readers.

Pam said...

I understand your reasons. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by blogging right now too. I hope you will add me to your list.

Margo said...

Hi Andrea. Of course I want to be included ~ it's a great way to be a part of your life and to "watch" your girls grow up. Good move, though!

MAMA said...

Oh do I ever understand. My family blog is private too. I had people from china even reading ti before!!!
Could I be invited. I sent you an email. I could also invite you to mine if you wish. Let me know:)

Sandy said...

Hi Andrea - I love reading you, when I can. I don't get a chance to read a lot of blogs, either so ... and I decided way back when to not play the blogging games,ie tags, parties, etc. Too time consuming. Although I'm tempted! LOL. :)

Pam said...

Yeah for the poop on the potty! Uhm- SO jealous she is staying so dry and my kid still isn't! But yeah for her and you!

I wanted to let you know that I posted my winter challenge update today. I know you said you won't get to do your update until Monday...but I was able to get it done while the kids rested.

Hope your busy weekend is a good weekend!

Sharon Brumfield said...

I guess this must be what happened to Kentucky Woman--kind of sad.
But I understand.
Generally I visit those who visit me.
I am not up to expanding my sites either. But people do drift away so it is nice to see new ones come by.
I think all we have to do is have our names on your list of allowed visitors. One other girl did this and all I had to do was put in my password.
I have enjoyed visiting with you off an on.
If you talk to Lisa--tell her I said Hi.
I will hate to see you go.

Regina said...

Hey Andrea! Good for you, going private. I thought about it briefly at one point, and yea, it was only a thought! Do what works best for you & yours! What will you do if your entire blogroll and line up of visitors ask for invites, it will be a bummer to have to turn people down.
I totally respect your decision, Go for it girl!!
Peace & Love!

TammyIsBlessed said...

Add me of course. :)

Xandra said...

Oh yes, please sign me up!!!! I would miss reading you blog terribly.......

Xandra

Tara said...

Sign me up please!

Erin said...

Me too.

PamJ said...

add me to your list hon!!

Bailey said...

I will miss reading your blog!

beckyjomama said...

I totally understand your reasons for this - I have gone back and forth with it myself. I actually decided recently to go through and edit all of my posts to take out mine and my hubby's names, our last name and where we live (there is a post about it on my site). I don't feel the need to go totally private - yet!!!
Anyhoo - I know that I just me ya at the blog party, but I really enjoy your site. So, if you feel safe, I would love to be invited. Totally understand either way. Feel free to come check me out at my newly named bloggy site (the old name - Beverly Bunch - was our last name so I had to change it), "Abundant Worship".
Good luck and God Bless!!
Becky Jo

Joanna said...

But I'm just an occational lurker. But you aren't kidding about this taking on a whole nother life form. Hope you find peace of mind.

wfbdoglover said...

Thanks for the add! I look forward to reading and commenting!!