Tuesday, March 11, 2008

what?...wait a minute -- you must be kidding me!!...right?

It seems like just yesterday I was 9 months pregnant with my first child, and seven days past my due date (I guess my labour-inducing skills don't work on myself!) I finally met my precious daughter -- Joelle Sherisse. Excuse me while I take a moment to reflect on those days nearly four and a half years ago....

(sorry for the poor picture quality...these are pictures of pictures)







So why the sudden walk down memory lane?

Today I registered Joelle for Kindergarten.

That's right...in just less than 6 months from now, my eldest daughter will be taking the school bus to attend kindergarten classes -- in the very same school that her mother did -- and her journey through the education program officially begins.

How can this actually be happening?

Didn't I just give birth to my precious little angel? Didn't she just start to smile, walk, and speak her first words?

Didn't she just learn to drink out of a big-girl cup and stop wearing diapers? (oh no, wait -- that's my other daughter!)

The point is, time flies. People say it all the time -- myself included -- but why do I never fully grasp the reality of it?

But it's true. In six short months Joelle will only be at home with me for half the day. And the year after that she will be in school for the whole day -- every day. And that will be the new reality for the next 12 years.

And I can't even think about what's going to happen after that....

But it's all been put into motion. Can I freeze time for just a little bit?

Please.....????

15 comments:

Erin said...

That is going to be so exciting for the girls. Ella can hardly wait. I can't believe how fast time flies. FAR too fast!

Don Mills Diva said...

If you find a way to freeze time, you could patent it and make a mint from mommies alone...

andrea said...

has time just flown or what! Last year, as i was going thru this same feelings, you were there supporting me. now that youare at that same place, i want you to know that i know how you feel and i want to suppport you! Exciting yet with all the unknowns, i'll be praying you you both.

Jenn said...

What a cute baby she was.
I felt the exact same way. When I heard myself tell my mom that "I registered her for kindergarten today" it felt so strange, almost surreal. How can my wee little girl be ready for school??

Tara said...

Hard to believe that she is off to kindergarten already! She will have a blast, and I am sure she will love going on the school bus!

Heather said...

We're not there yet, but I can totally relate. Ladybug has been in the world longer than she was in the womb! It has gone SOOOO fast!

Pam said...

They grow so quickly...it is hard to grasp the reality of it sometimes. I am feeling the same way since we are gearing up for Ashlyn's 4th birthday.

Melanie said...

Excuse me while I get a tissue....

I know I keep thinking that it's so strange that Hailey will be 18 months in April. I mean I just brought her home from the hospital last week. How did it happen so fast?

Let me know when you figure out that whole time freezing thing.

Jamie said...

Oh that just about made me cry! That'll be me this time next year! Unbelievable. I can't imagine my son being out of the house so often! I want to strive to cherish the times I have left with him.

Lori said...

how exciting! I know it is hard when the first goes to kindergarten (I taught K for 10 years before I gave it up to be a Mommy!) It is such a fun and exciting time

Carl & Kathy Heppner said...

The time has really flown by. Kind of crazy to think of her in kindergarten, but things are great now, and I know it'll only get better...but it would be nice to keep them small for just a bit longer.

storyteller said...

Time does fly doesn’t it? I enjoyed this photo series and trust me … there are lots of wonderfully exciting experiences ahead for both of you! Just savor each moment and take lotsa pictures ;--)

Thanks for stopping by Small Reflections recently. Good luck on the Top 5 Blog meme. It’s a tough one. I finally got my ‘party’ post up yesterday after being inspired by yours … and others. Even though I’m anything but a SAHM … I decided this was a party to crash!
Hugs and blessings,

common mom said...

We, too, just signed our daughter up for kindergarten. I cried last August the first day my 7 year old got on the big bus to go to 2nd grade (he was at Montessori before then so I took him). Now, my baby is going to be in kindergarten. What happened? When did they grow up so much?

TammyIsBlessed said...

And in just 2 short years it'll be Malia's turn. Leaving an empty house behind. Hmmmmm, maybe you should have one more after all!! :)

Margo said...

Do you realize how much you look like Auntie Sara? Especially in your pregnancy picture!