Tuesday, March 25, 2008

you just can't put a price on some things


When I was younger, I often would get confused about something while reading Archie comic books.

I know, I know...what could be confusing about those?

Well, let me tell you. Remember Veronica? Of course you do. Who could forget good ol' Ronnie? Anyway, as you all know Veronica was quite wealthy. Well, I suppose it was her father who was the wealthy one. Veronica was just the spoiled teenager.

Anyway, I'm side-tracking here. Okay, so Archie was known to be a tad clumsy and would often knock things over when he was at Veronica's house. It seemed like Veronica's dad (why can't I think of his name?) was always lunging to save a precious vase or other expensive possession.

Mr. Veronica (?) would gasp, or sweat, or just look really nervous as he tried to rescue his prized possessions from the wrath of Archie's desperate clumsiness, all the while exclaiming how priceless these items were.

P-r-i-c-e-l-e-s-s?

See -- to my young mind -- priceless means that it wasn't worth anything. You know -- price-less. Therein lay my confusion.

Why in the world was Veronica's dad so concerned about something if it didn't even cost him anything?

I never voiced my thoughts to anyone on this matter -- afterall, nobody else seemed to think it was odd -- but it was baffling to me for many years.

I wonder exactly when I figured it all out...

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Veronica's last name is right on the tip of my tongue........
I loved those comics too!

Xandra said...

LOL!

Jenn said...

I had to look it up. Veronica Lodge.

Sharon Brumfield said...

I guess everyone has had those DUH! moments.
When I was growing up I figured the reason they put up those signs saying that bridges ice first was because of the material they made bridges from---yes, I had a duh moment.
Hope that made sense. :)

Pam said...

i have times like this too where I seem to be the only one who does get it -- then i feel silly later on when I finally ask.....

Joanna said...

I think my entire life has been a series of lightbulb moments. This of course gives me lots of times to dope slap myself in the head.

TheVasquez3 said...

oh wow...now that was an AWESOME peek into your brain...what a ride!! thank you for the giggle.