Sunday, April 6, 2008

believe it or not...but you've got the wrong number

Last week we got a phone call that kept us in stitches for the rest of the day. In fact, at one point I was practically rolling on the floor laughing -- literally.

It was late afternoon last Monday when the phone rang. Les went to answer it. The conversation went something like this:

Les: "Hello?"

Caller: "Hi, Jake."

Les: "Uh, sorry -- you've got the wrong number."

Caller: "No I don't."

Les: "What? You don't?"

Caller: "I can tell that it's Jake."

Les: "Really? I sound like Jake? 'Cause this is Les. You have the wrong number."

Caller: "I know it's you Jake. It's your sister, Hilda."

Les: "What number did you dial?"

Caller: "433"

Les: "433...what? You're missing the last number."

Caller: "Jake -- I know it's you. Let me talk to Elvira."

Les: "You want to talk to my wife?"

Caller: "Yes...put Elvira on the phone."

Les: "Well, my wife's name is Andrea but okay..."


Seriously -- this woman, Hilda, would just not accept the fact that Les was not her brother Jake. I guess Jake has been known to pull a few tricks in his day. The conversation kept going on in circles until Les ended up having to eventually hang up on her since she just would not let it go. I was hoping he would've actually passed me ("Elvira") the phone. I would've said, "Sorry Hilda...Jake forgot to take his medication again today." Oh the fun we could've had with this!

I can just imagine poor, confused Hilda. She probably dialed the number again -- this time getting it right -- and reamed out poor Jake (the real Jake) for a prank that he didn't even know he pulled.

For the rest of the day (and even continuing into the next day) Les and I kept referring to each other as Jake and Elvira. I sort of felt bad for Hilda, but it sure felt good to laugh that much!

14 comments:

andrea said...

that is so funny. when i lived at home, i got a call like that, but the guy & I figured out he had the wrong number( he was calling to invite 'me' to his cousin wedding with him) and the end of our hour long conversation, we decided that we would just say our goodbyes forever...his name was Greg! say hi to him if he ever calls your way! until then, i'll hope that Hilda gets the right number the first time. see you, Elvira!

Jenn said...

That's too funny. I wonder if she ever clued in!

Rebecca said...

lol. Thanks for inviting me to your blog - I'll have to catch up another time. :)

Xandra said...

Hey, Elvira! I love getting your comments on my blog, but I can't ever respond because your email address is set to "noreply-comment". Trevor is mechanical engineer, and when he patents a new product, he has to go to China to make sure that they create the prototype correctly for production.

His division of Weatherford was bought out by a Russian company, so trips to Moscow are in his immediate future as well.

Xandra

Carl & Kathy said...

Why don't I ever get entertaining phone calls like that? I only get the teenager asking for Angel. Maybe Hilda will get my number!

Jody said...

Okay, I was laughing out loud by the end of that one! When we lived in Wpg we used to get the same person calling all the time for Angela. Leaving messages and everything. They never clued in to the recording "hi, you've reached Paul and Jody's please leave a message"...

Regina said...

Hilarious!
Some people just can't take no for an answer!

common mom said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! How fun!

My friend used to have conversations with telemarketers . . . one time a photography company called, offering them a free family portrait with 3 individual portraits . . . my friend said they couldn't accept because they were too ugly for pictures. The guy went on and on about how maybe they could go to the salon and get fixed up first . . . friend said the salon wouldn't even take them because they were too ugly. We were all just dying laughing!

Pam said...

HA HA HA! I don't know how I missed this the other day! How funny! We all need a good laugh!

TheVasquez3 said...

HILARIOUS!!

Heather said...

Too funny! I wonder when she figured it out.

Hope y'all are doing well!

Sharon Brumfield said...

That was funny!
Poor lady---think how embarrassed she was when she realized the truth.

Louise said...

Oh that is TOOOOOO funny!!!

Kelly said...

I love stories like these because it happens to us all the time. My number is one digit off from a vet clinic and one number off from a golf course. One time I got a call and the woman left a message on my machine telling me about her dog fluffy's bowel issues. I also take calls asking for tee times. My husband says we should start scheduling them. lol