Thursday, April 17, 2008

i can't believe i'm doing this...again!

For those of you who have been around my blog for awhile, you will likely remember my two week Pepsi challenge that I did back in October (and if you are not familiar with it, click here to get the scoop).

This challenge helped me lose 5 pounds in two weeks. And even though it was way harder than I ever thought it would be, I was glad I had done it since it gave me good results. Of course once the challenge was over I went over-board with Pepsi indulgences and I haven't slowed down since!

Lately I have been noticing some extra unwanted weight being placed on various parts of my body -- although this is also partly due to some medication I am currently on -- and I figured that I needed to do something about that N-O-W!!

So...

You guessed it -- I am doing the challenge again. I know after last time I said that I was n-e-v-e-r doing it again -- and I really meant it -- but I know that it works, so why not give it one more shot?

(Don't worry Michelle -- I told Mom she should still make tacos on Tuesday. I'll just suffer while the rest of you are drinking the most delicious beverage in the entire world while I sip on my water...)

And this time when the two weeks are over, I am going to make the switch to Diet Pepsi.

Okay -- I said it (barely). I can not believe those words came out of my mouth -- or my finger tips-- since I have always vowed I would not drink diet pop. I have always figured that I would rather drink NO Pepsi than diet Pepsi.

But...since there are no calories in diet Pepsi, it might be worth it (I know, I know...what about the aspertame? Hey -- these days, everything is going to give us cancer anyway right?).

As for the taste, I figure that after a two week Pepsi drought, even diet Pepsi will taste glorious to me. So, the key is to NOT drink a regular Pepsi until I have gotten accustomed to the diet. I hear it's not so bad once you get used to it...

We'll see.

Today was the first day of this second Pepsi challenge. I'm sure it will follow the same pattern as last time. The first few days will be hard -- not because I'm used to having Pepsi every single day (although pretty close...rarely are there 2 days in a row where no Pepsi is being consumed by yours truly), but just because you always want something more when you know you can't have it.

Then after the first several days, it will get e-x-c-r-u-c-i-a-t-i-n-g-l-y difficult as the withdrawal starts to kick in. Last time there were several ocassions where I would just pace around the house, shaking my hands in desperation. I'm hoping it will be easier this time, but I'm not counting on it.

I gotta say, I certainly have a new respect for smokers who have kicked their habit. I couldn't imagine having to give up Pepsi f-o-r-e-v-e-r! So...way to go all of you who have successfully given up smoking -- you are my HEROS!!

Anyway, I'm sure I will be giving you updates throughout my challenge. And I will have a countdown ticker at the top of my blog to keep track. Wish me luck...again! And like last time -- if anybody else wants to join me in this challenge (pick something that YOU would have a hard time giving up for two weeks), please let me know you are walking with me on this journey.

**for the record, by saying I am giving up Pepsi for two weeks, this also includes ALL pop**

20 comments:

PamJ said...

ok I am on board!! two weeks it is!! no pop for me, and I will limit myself to ONE cup of coffee a day. okay one coffee or capp or iced cap.
good for you for challenging yourself again!
and diet pepsi isn't so bad ;) actually i am a fan of that AND diet coke, but now enjoy coke zero. same taste!

Sheldon said...

You're friggin' nuts. Not sure if I have the will power to join you, but we'll talk on Sunday and we'll see whether I have that kind of ambition in me...

Heather said...

You GO, Girl!! You can do it! Way proud of you for tackling this again. I think you're right about being able to switch to the taste of Diet Pepsi.

Keep us updated! I wish I could join you, but I don't drink sodas at all. Well, not never, just don't buy them to keep in the house and I usually order water when we're out. I guess the equivalent I could give up is chocolate. And my post today just solidifies WHY chocolate is GOOD for you!

ValleyGirl said...

You can do it, Andrea! And knowing you've done it before should be of some encouragement as well.

I'd never pick a diet drink over ANYTHING though. Doesn't Pepsi have anything like Coke's C2 or Zero? Maybe you wouldn't actually have to sacrifice the flavour, but could still drastically reduce the sugar and/or caffeine.

Sharon Brumfield said...

Yes, I remember this from before. Girl, if it takes off weight without doing anything else--go for it!
I have been trying to do the same and my weight has been bouncing around.

Happy birthday to your man!
Ten year younger than me! What a young un!
Glad ya'll have had some great weather and had a great celebration.

Xandra said...

I have to laugh at your usage of the word "pop". Down here, we call all carbonated beverages "coke". As in, "What kind of coke would you like? Sprite? Great!" LOL!

I have been drinking diet beverages since about 6th grade, and when I accidentally take a sip of the real thing, I seriously want to throw up. WAY too sweet!

You'll be so anxious for that Pepsi taste after two weeks, that I think you are right about trying the diet. It will be great! Good luck...

Xandra

andrea said...

you are one determined girl! and yes, you can do this. what should I give up you ask...chocolate, and this time I won't 'forget'. it'll feel so good to change this habit for a healthier choice...but i've never tasted 'diet'...so my bad, if its gross! ( i'm sure it'll be refreshing and delicious)

Rebecka said...

I'm not big on regular soda. I have had Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, I prefer diet pepsi. it was pretty good. Hopefully you can do it. I hope you shed some major pounds.!
good luck!

Leeann said...

Good for you! I know that you can do it. And way to make the change! I'm so proud of you.

Pam said...

Wow! I am impressed! I can't believe you are doing this again. Good for you. I drink diet soda all the time and I don't mind it....as a matter of fact, when I drink regular soda now- I think it tastes bad! I know- crazy! I'll be thinking of you!

Roo said...

yah! u can do it andrea!!! enjoy your weekend....double digits all weekend long!

wfbdoglover said...

I grew up calling it soda and where my husband came from they call it minerals.

ANYHOW, I use to drink 4-6 cans of soda a day. I switched to diet and actually do have a reaction to the aspertame - I have to avoid in in everything.

I limited my self to one soda a day to cut back - similar to your situation. Then when I got pregnant, I was allowed one caffine a day.. and I choose coffee. After that, I was so use to not having soda, I only have it once in a great while.

On another note, one day my son was really frustrated with my one soda a day policy - IF even and he said you drink soda, why can't I. Without thinking, I responded it wasn't true and I only drink soda with alcohol. LOL Well that is true, I drink Powers Whiskey with 7-up.

Good luck with your two week gig. You are a stronger woman than me.

Kelly said...

I am with you but for slightly different reasons and a slightly different time period. Coke is my love and I feel about it the same way as you do about Pepsi! If I could drink that and only that I would. Anyway, I gave it up when I got pregnant and am still off it while I am nursing! It is terrible!!!!!!! I miss it soooo much. It doesn't help that my hubby drinks is all the time and makes me keep it in the fridge! Aghhhhhh! I feel your pain!

Melanie said...

I'll do it too- hee hee, I don't even like Pepsi or any soda for that matter. So, I'm sure it'll be pretty easy for me.

TheVasquez3 said...

oh honey...good luck.

i kicked regular pepsi 6 yrs ago...switching to diet. now when i am accidentally served regular pepsi, i GAG!

these days i kick around the idea of giving up diet...but i know myself WAY too well...ain't gonna happen!!

i am inlove with the light blue can...i hope you find love too!

Jody said...

Hey - good for you! I think challenges like this are always good for feelings of "rah rah, hurray for me" kind of feelings. Some people climb Everest, some people give up Pepsi - it's all an adventure! BTW - when I switched to Diet Pepsi I loaded my fridge with fresh limes and would squeeze a slice of fresh lime into my glass and leave it floating in there for "wow" factor. And always make sure there's ice in your glass - also makes it taste a little better.

Carl & Kathy said...

Good for you...okay I'm thinking that I'll jump on board. There's WAY too much sugar in pop, plus all that high fructose corn syrup. Go Andrea, Go!! You'll feel so much better in the end.

Jenn said...

I almost had to laugh picturing you pacing the house and shaking your hands in desperation. I'm glad it's going well so far. I will look forward to cracking open a nice cold diet pepsi with you when you're done!

common mom said...

Good for you!

I'm on board as well . . . no more pop and sugar for me for two weeks!

I have a tip . . . if the Diet is way too nasty to start with (cuz it will be - you'll always remember the taste of the yummy goodness of the real stuff) . . . just mix it half and half with the regular. It really works! I don't drink Diet Pop very much - I don't drink pop much at all anymore, but when I was trying to cut back and still "needed" it, doing the half and half worked . . . I got my fix and half the calories.

Good luck to you!

Louise said...

You go girl!
I am a solid Decaf Diet Pepsi fan, since I have coffee I don't need the extra caffiene and I LOVE it!!