Wednesday, April 16, 2008

like mother, like daughter? not this time!

It always amazes me how quickly Joelle can go from awake to sleeping, or vice versa.

Especially in the van.

We'll have the girls' kid's music on and the girls will be belting away to it (in their b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l off-key voices), enjoying singing the lyrics to "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands."

Then Les or I will look behind us and notice that the lovely duet has suddenly changed into a solo, as the previously wide-awake Joelle has immediately fallen into a deep sleep in her car seat, leaving Malia to carry out the melody all by herself -- and oh, what a wonderful melody it is, by the way.

And then, after several minutes have passed and Les and I are involved in our own conversation, we will suddenly -- completely out of the blue -- hear Joelle's voice being added back into the mix, singing "This is my Commandment That You Love One Another."

What?!

Wasn't she just snoring back there? How does that even happen? I only w-i-s-h that I could fall asleep that quickly, or snap out of a deep sleep that easily.

I guess this is one of the very few ways that she is not like her mother.

10 comments:

ValleyGirl said...

That could change as she gets older, too. Kids (and husbands!) seem to have that talent!!

common mom said...

Kids and puppies . . . amazing how they can go from 100 mph to 0 mph and snoring back to 100 mph in a matter of minutes :-)

I wish I could do that sometimes. . . my hubby can . . . I cannot :-(

Regina said...

Isn't it wonderful! Kids rejuvenate so quickly and always appear to be ready and alert!

Leeann said...

I wish I could get cat naps like that in!

MamaGeek said...

Yeah, that is truly TALENT!

Louise said...

Isn't it amazing? Kids always surprise me with their sleep anywhere abilities!

Kelly said...

too funny. I know people told me when my first daughter was fussy to take her in the car and it would put her to sleep. NOPE, not my child. The car never did it for her. I wish I could sleep in the car but I can't either so maybe that is how my daughter is like me!

Kellan said...

It amazes me too - I can not fall asleep quickly like that - I wish I could sometimes.

Have a good Friday - see you later - Kellan

Pam said...

Ashlyn is like that too. She will be talking and rambling away and then all of a sudden...nothing. I wish I fell asleep so quickly!

Pamela said...

kaden and Conrad both have that talent! It takes me forever to fall asleep!