Sunday, April 13, 2008

today Les is THIS many

I'm not going to actually tell you Les' age...but if you really want to know, all you have to do is count the candles on his birthday cake.
**recipes for this carrot cake & cream cheese icing will be at the bottom of this post**

We started Les' birthday celebration last night by having about a dozen of our friends from church over for a good ol' par-tay. It was filled with food, friends, games (girls only), food, watching hockey (guys only), laughter...and did I mention food?!

The celebration continued today with a delicious BBQ lunch at my parents' place (also in honour of my sister Tammy whose birthday was last Wednesday), and then the girls and I closed out the day by taking Les out for supper. Lucky for me, he just happened to choose my all-time f-a-v-o-r-i-t-e restaurant -- Boston Pizza -- for the fact that they have TV's in there so he could still watch hockey. Fine by me!


It was a fun weekend, and I was honoured to be able to treat Les to some fun on his special day. This man is an amazing father to our little girls, a wonderful husband to me and we are all so fortunate to have him in our lives.

We love you, Les!

ps: It's someone else's birthday today...someone who was supposed to be at our party last night went into labour and their daughter was born today in the wee morning hours. That's right -- my labour-inducing skills worked yet again (okay, she was induced...but still, I think it counts!).

Carrot Cake

2 cups sugar

1 cup oil

4 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 cups flour

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

3 tsp cinnamon

3 1/2 cups grated carrots

Mix sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla first. Then add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix in the carrots at the end. Pour into a 9 x 13 cake pan and bake at 350 F for 55-60 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).


Cream Cheese Icing

8 oz of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup margarine, softened

1 tsp vanilla

1 lb icing sugar

Blend up the ingredients in the order given.

14 comments:

wfbdoglover said...

Happy Birthday Les!!

Rebecka said...

Happy 32nd? Birthday Les..
[Who knows if I can count right, my high school was known for poor edumacation =p]

Jenn said...

Sounds like some great birthday celebrations to me! Happy Birthday to him.
If I'd a known you were going to BP you could've had my free app coupon that expired today!!

andrea said...

What a fun weekend partying! Les may be really old now but it is so good to see that he adores you and the kids.(HeeHee) That is so worth a celebration by itself...why not next weekend? And those labour-inducing story, yes...you can count that! Have a good evening.

Melanie said...

32? Happy Birthday Les!!

And I think you totally had something to do with your friend going into labor ;)

amy said...

yeah for bdays and dang if that cake doesnt sound just yummy

Melissa said...

WE had a great time Andrea:)
I really want to see the kissing pics of Sydney and Malia- I loved that I got bedtime hugs and kisses from Malia too!

Carl & Kathy said...

Sounds like Les had a wonderful birthday. And you really threw a great celebration for him. What a way to say I love you. You're very thoughtful.

Carl & Kathy said...

Okay, stop posting yummy recipes! The chocolate one you did I made and ate half of it that night. And I'll be darned if I stay up tonight and make that deliciously moist and delectable carrot cake. So just stop it already!

Tara said...

Sounds like a great weekend, Happy Birthday Les!

Roo said...

my cake has more candles then his cake!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LES!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday Les! What a wonderful way to celebrate your fabulous hubby....guess my invite got lost in the mail....hee hee!

pam d said...

Thanks for the help, Andrea! Can't wait for you to meet Annika. And happy belated birthday, Les.

Louise said...

Happy Birthday Les!
Sounds like you had a blast!That carrot cake sounds DELISH!!