Friday, April 25, 2008

you break it, you buy it **updated**

**PHEW!! After giving my computer more time to dry under a fan...it has come back to life!! All of my keys work correctly and I am now reunited with cyberspace. Whoo-hoo!!**

Last night the unthinkable happened. S-o-m-e-o-n-e -- who shall remain nameless at this point -- accidentally spilled water on my beloved laptop.

At first, the computer didn't work at all after that. So at the advice of a friend with a lot of computer knowledge, we put a fan near it overnight to try and dry it out. This morning there was progress, as the computer worked but the keyboard did not. It was doing funky things, and I can not log into my administrator account, nor can I do anything on the internet as some vital keys are not working.

So...I am at my wonderful neighbor's house doing an update so that you all know why I might be MIA for a little while. I will still be able to periodically check emails -- and maybe even a few blogs -- at the graciousness of this friend. But don't expect to hear a lot from me until things are back up and running over at my house.

At this point, we are unsure if waiting it out a bit more will create more progress or if we will soon be in the market for a new computer. I'm hoping for the former.

And I will do my best to get caught up with whatever I miss during my hopefully minimal absence.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

You're welcome. From me and the computer guy.
Just don't come knocking on my door after midnight. :)

wfbdoglover said...

OMGosh, I am so sorry! About 1 month ago, I did the same thing... fortunately it was "OK", but what my husband had done was kept an eyeout on ebay for a very inexpensive laptop similar to ours and he has been using it for parts. ie: my letter "k" fell off and somehow he fixed it with the other computer... maybe you could look on ebay and get a new hard drive or something....

I'll keep happy thoughts that this laptop will dry out and you won't have any problems...

Don't forget, your local library has some computers you could probably use for free in the meantime.

Erin said...

o i think my heart just broke a little for u!

Carl & Kathy said...

Sorry to hear about the computer. I remember how frustrating it was when we didn't have the internet working properly here at home. I just about went nutty. Well, glad you have a great neighbour...just hope I don't have Andrea withdrawl!

Pam said...

I'm sorry! I know when I feel on ice and landed on the ground- school bag with laptop in it included- I was without a computer for a bit. It was so hard- I felt like part of my was missing!

Sorry to hear about this and I will miss you! My only connection to you and it will be gone for a bit! How sad!

Roo said...

oh wow! i have had some close calls like that....glad yours was able to be fixed!! yahoo!

wfbdoglover said...

glad for your update! WHOO HOO!!!

Kelly said...

Whew, you're lucky! When I was younger I spilled water on my parents computers keyboard. Needless to say it mustn't have 9 lives because it died for good. Welcome back!

Pamela said...

phew! glad it works now!