Monday, May 5, 2008

bend it like beckham

I am officially a soccer mom!! Joelle started mini-soccer tonight and she had a b-l-a-s-t!

I was one of the 'assistant coaches', helping out at a drill center and supervising one of the scrimmages, and as fun as it was -- I couldn't believe how exhausted I was at the end of the hour.

Twenty-six girls under 6 years old...that takes a lot of energy out of you (although thankfully I never had all of them at once!).

They were all very well behaved and seemed to listen well to instructions, even though most of them don't really have a clue what they're doing...yet.

All of us coaches were relatively new at this whole soccer thing too, so it made for an interesting first evening. I'm looking forward to the next couple of months as we all learn a little bit more about this sport.

When I asked Joelle what her favorite part of the evening was, her response was: "All of it!"

10 comments:

Xandra said...

How cute! Looks like she was having a blast!!

Xandra

Jenn said...

It was a great night! They're so cute in their soccer gear.

ValleyGirl said...

Look at you, gettin' all involved and whatnot! Good for you!! I'm glad you both had a good time!

Carl & Kathy said...

How special that Joelle started soccer. And it's great that you got to help out. Man, she's growing up....

Mamarazzi said...

SO. MUCH. FUN.

love the pics!!

Pam said...

So glad she had fun! I want to get Ashlyn into some soccer league...but I can't seem to figure it out. Or maybe it is I can't seem to get off my computer long enough to figure it out. Anyway...I am SO glad that Joelle (and mommy) had a good time. Way to go coach!

Rebecca said...

My stepmom has told me that of all the sports soccer is her favorite for the kids to play - shorter season & fewer practices than the others. Have fun with it! Great pictures.

Melanie said...

That looks like soooo much fun! I can't even imagine having 26 girls under 6 though. When I taught the most I ever had was 18 and that was with an assistant helping me. I can't imagine 26 of them!! Good for you :)

Roo said...

ahhhh she is SO CUTE!

common mom said...

Herding cats comes to mind :-)

I coached Princess's soccer team last fall - I've never played soccer. Heck, I'd never even WATCHED soccer before. But it sure was fun!

The great part? The kids have no idea you don't know what you'r doing :-) They look like they're having fun to me - and that's the whole point :-)