Sunday, May 11, 2008

life before kids

(This is my Mother's Day post. See below for my Blogoversary Post)
Before I was a Mom...

I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.

I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.

I never thought about immunizations.




Before I was a Mom...

I had never been puked on. Pooped on. Chewed on. Peed on.

I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.

I slept a-l-l night.




Before I was a Mom...

I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests. Or give shots.

I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.

I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.



Before I was a Mom...

I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put him down.

I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.

I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom.


Before I was a Mom...


I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.


I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.


I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.


I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.







Before I was a Mom...


I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.

I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache,the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.


I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much...before I was a Mom.
- Unknown

20 comments:

Deborah said...

beautiful pictures! And the poem is good, even if I did just read it at the last blog!
Hi...I'm just out visiting blogs, and saw yours. Nice meeting you...and congrats on your bloraversary!

Dawn said...

The poem is so true! And you never quit being that mom - and grandmom!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Pam said...

The poem and pictures - beautiful! Happy Mother's Day!

Margo said...

A very special blog! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day Andrea ~ you deserve it! Your girls are blessed to have such a loving, committed, special mommy.

Kelly said...

Very special! I love the pics that go with it!

Xandra said...

We are so blessed to have children...Happy Mother's Day to you!

Xandra

amy said...

geesh. just woke up and you made mr cry...beautiful, have a great day

Jenn said...

That is a beautiful mother's day post. So, so true. Happy Mother's Day!

Erin said...

nice poem and pics!! happy mother's day!

mama said...

Beautiful Pics! Happy mothers day!

Sharon Brumfield said...

That was a great poem. And I would imagine that every single Mom could understand each word.
I hope you had a great Mother's Day.
Sweet pictures!

Mamarazzi said...

i love this poem!!

Happy Mother's Day!

andrea said...

Happy Mother's Day! Your girls are so beautiful! that poem is so fitting for this day. hope that your day was fun and you felt very special and loved.

Melissa said...

Love this post- you are a wonderful Mother to those beautiful girls

Leeann said...

I love love love it! Happy Mother's Day to one of the most amazing Mommies I know.

Melanie said...

I love that poem- it always makes me cry. Being a mom is just something you can understand until you are one.

Happy Mother's Day!

Carl & Kathy said...

Happy Mother's Day Andrea! I hope that you had a special day.

Kellan said...

Lovely! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day - take care - Kellan

Tara said...

What a nice poem and tribute to all Mom's, hope you had a Happy Mother's Day!

MamaGeek said...

Andrea, this was so stinking beautiful. Truer words have never been spoken my friend.

Hope you had a great Mother's Day!